Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
5thwheeler

Compartment doors broken into.

This past weekend we returned to our 5thwheel to find all of the compartment doors had been pulled open. After years of never having any problems we have finally been broken. Luckily the thief left behind many valuable items including money left in plain sight and only took a pair of Danner hunting boots.
The way the compartment doors are constructed he simply opened the latch on one side and pulled that corner open until the "lock" bent the sealing lip of the frame an popped open.
I think that if there were locks on each corner he would have been stopped or been forced to pry the door open with a pry bar of some sort so I'm looking into replacing all of the CH751 locks & latches with a different style lock.

5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Motor31

Let us know how the new lock situation comes out. I think our new rig has the 751 locks and I'd like to swap them out for something that is a bit less common to everyone who has ever even looked at an rv.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
5thwheeler

Will do - We will also be replacing the thumb latches with locks so one corner can't be opened and then the door forced open.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
5thwheeler

From what I'm finding there are discounts for quantity orders - is there anyone else interested in doing this? If so I could take a list of names and number of locks and place 1 order for everyone and get a better price.
I'll still order enough for our Wildcat and perform an installation review for everyone to read.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Sorry to hear of the problem you had. Are you in a park, or off by yourselves somewhere? I have to wonder if all the outside doors are the same thickness. If your purchasing a bunch of locks for everyone to get a betterprice, will they fit all doors?? I would be interested in gettin a price with you. If I were to install 2 locks per door, I would need 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheeladmin
From what I'm finding there are discounts for quantity orders - is there anyone else interested in doing this? If so I could take a list of names and number of locks and place 1 order for everyone and get a better price.
I'll still order enough for our Wildcat and perform an installation review for everyone to read.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
5thwheeler

We left it up in the National Forest.

I'll bet the door thickness differs from one manufacturer to the next. Our Wildcat took 7/8" thick locks and we will use the cam off of the original locks.

To do a group purchase everyone would have to pull one of their current locks and measure the depth.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
rverdlm

You're fortunate that more damage wasn't done. With 2 locks on each door the thief would have just pried a little harder and perhaps broken the door and frame. Then you'd not only have lost your stuff but have a big repair bill. Just something to think about.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
ikoolu

locks

the first thing i did was swap out the locks- grangers sells matched sets the kind used on a vending machine which is impossible to duplicate-

cost about $ 10 each