Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
mcfarlak

Duo-Therm 15000 Penguin

Well when it rains it pours, Ttoday was our first very warm day and wouldn't you know it, turned the bedroom Air on in our 07 Elite Suite 38RL3 and it came on, but the compressor constantly cuts in and out. went up and pulled the cover, motor turns freely and thats about all I can determine. Is this something I can do, or do I need a professional for this one... And does anyone recommend a replacement A/C and what kind of cost am I looking at here? Here we go again... Thanks in advance.

mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Motor31

You are going to be stuck with a professional on this one I'm afraid. That is a new symptom to me. So far all we have had happen is a failure of the heat pump (main AC unit replaced) and a blower motor fail again on the same unit. The bedroom unit has gotten far less use and has only had a loose squirrel cage that I was able to take care of with an allen wrench. My heat pump is acting up again and I'm worried it may fail completely.

I have no idea if there is a controller board on these things that can be replaced by a dino board, like the fridge.

I have seen new AC units on camping worlds web site and they went for between $1k to $1.5k IIRC.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Cheif 2

I would check a couple of things. Make sure you don't have the bathroom vent pointing towards the remote thermostat sensor. Next I would check and see if there is any dust buildup on the remote sensor. I had a problem with short cycling when a vent had been turned towards the area of the remote sensor. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
martins192

Have had this happen several times over the years. It could be possible that the compressor motor is locked up, but more likely it is the motor starter or capacitor that has failed. This happened on my 2006, and they replaced it with a new part number that was supposed to be heavier duty. Be careful because sometimes the motor starters will get hot and burn up. Hopefully a service call will get you going if you can't replace these parts yourself. Beware of charged capacitors.

Good luck Marty.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Motor31

A burned out capacitor won't have anything to do with short cycling. That will just prevent the compressor from starting at all and lead to a potential fire. All the capacitor does is give the shot of high amp juice needed to get the compressor turning to begin the cycle.

The symptom of a burned out capacitor is a protracted humming and the smell of burned wiring with no compressor action.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Motor31

Ken any word yet about a fix?

I've done a bit of looking myself since my heat pump seems to be failing, the blower won't operate at low anymore. It seems the 15k duotherm unit on my 05 is no longer made by dometic. The closest they come is a 13.5k penguin and that won't cut it for hot weather, it's too little unit for the size rig we have. They do have a 15k unit but it's not a low profile and seems to go for about $1k. I see no listing for any control boards for the old units either.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
mcfarlak

I have ordered the capacitor start kit, but really think I have other problems with the Air. My 07 rig 38RL3 and I require a 15,000 as 13,500 will never cool like I want. 6 years just doesn't seem like I got my money out of this one. Love the rig.... Just hate all the constant problems. If anyone comes up with a suitable replacement A/C let me know
mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Cummins12V98

When you have the cover removed check the roam strips. On mine they were not sealing very well and would allow hot outside air to go where it should not. I ordered the kit from Dometic from the local RV repair.

When done the units will cool much better!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Motor31

Ken, what was the out come? Did you get it fixed with the starter kit?
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Gemstone

In case anyone is looking....ebay had some new Penguin/low profile models listed, via Family RV in New Port Richey, FL...I spoke to Mark at at Family RV @ 727 389 0134. He did not have a 13.5K unit for my bedroom, however after conferring with Dometic he offered to order one at $50 over cost....for $684, with a new thermostat for $84 and ship it to Yuma for $125. Apparently Dometic has changed the package, and with the new low profile A/C units you either need to remove and replace the new control board with your old one, or change thermostats, then get a new board for your other A/C.
I was able to get an A/C in Yuma for about the same total money, and will use the control board from my defective A/C. I'll report back when the project is complete and comment further on the need for the board replacement.

As we've all discovered, Dometic has a policy where they will only sell to/ship to a verified dealer with a commercial address, thus they are able to build a moat around their outrageous pricing.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Gemstone

Well, the new Made in China 13.5K Penguin unit is installed, I did swap boards as directed by the RV shop....almost lead for lead, however the new board has an additional terminal (T-6) for a neutral lead coming off of the hermister (?), which the old board does not have....so I just spared the lead. Seems to work with the thermostat OK so far. With no extension ladder, or a block and tackle to attach to the limb overhead, I scratched my a$$ for a while trying to figure out a way to get the unit up to the roof by myself....to no avail. Until I remembered the front loader used by the irrigation district....$30 later, the old one was on the ground, and the new one on the roof, via the front loader.

Regards
Gemstone