Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
jbeliveau

No Brakes No Help.

On my way from Minnesota to Ca.Blew out a tire in Nebraska so replaced all four.They told me my pads were wore out on the disk brakes.I have been trying to find new ones and someone to replace them from there to the Utah border with no luck(even called the new Suites Dealer in Salt Lake who told me to call Camping World.So will limp the rest of the way with no trailer brakes.i will be trading this off as soon as i can for a different brand.
Jut had to vent.Thanks :evil:

jbeliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

If they are Kodiak, call them--they are said to be very responsive.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
jbeliveau

i thought they were Dexter?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Walt

If you're going over the Sierra mountains into CA you better have good trailer brakes!
2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
netjam

Went from Ontario to Knoxville, TN without brakes on our 07 Elite when the actuator let go. Not pleasant but it is doable. Just take it easy. Not sure what kind of pads we had but had them replaced without any problem at an RV dealer I was passing. It wasn't cheap (over $1000) but the rv place didn't seem to have a problem getting pads.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
David Schwertner

Kodiak Brake Warranty

As posted before, the kodiak brake pads come with a life time warranty.
Enclosed is the information that I got from Kodiak out of Ft.Worth,Tx.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kodiak_brakes_warranty__1__150.pdf (178.7 KB, 10 views)
2008 Ford F450
David Schwertner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

Whether Dexter or Kodiak, a call to the Mfg will get the number of the pads/rotors/calipers to make repairs--make sense? Do you have any literature on the brakes in your owners papers?
Joe
Old 09-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
porkchop

That sounds strange. I can easily find 12+ places between Omaha and Cheyenne that have and will install brake pads on a trailer.

Bill
porkchop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
jbeliveau

And how did you find those places?I called every rv dealer on the way and nothing.How about Nevada?Any places there?We are in Alco headed for Reno
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
netjam

Not sure where in Nevada but I had good success getting my Elite Suite repaired at Johnny Walker RV in Vegas. (not brakes but hydraulics and slides). The brake pads were done in London, Ontario at Can-Am. The J Walker guys appeared to be able to handle anything.
Edit: on re-read I see you are north in Nevada. Disregard this response.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

You probably don't need an RV dealer if you know who makes the brakes and can get some part numbers from DRV.
Joe
Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
rvguy2

Send a message via AIM to rvguy2
Re: No Brakes No Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeliveau
On my way from Minnesota to Ca.Blew out a tire in Nebraska so replaced all four.They told me my pads were wore out on the disk brakes.I have been trying to find new ones and someone to replace them from there to the Utah border with no luck(even called the new Suites Dealer in Salt Lake who told me to call Camping World.So will limp the rest of the way with no trailer brakes.i will be trading this off as soon as i can for a different brand.
Jut had to vent.Thanks :evil:
quit moaning and blaming the manufacture because you dont check out your brakes BEFORE you hit the road on your huge long trip. Pre plan next time.
rvguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
billr

A few things in this thread really bothers me. One, that someone is "Limping" along with NO brakes a great distance. Not knowing that they are bad or weak is one thing but knowingly going on and on without brakes on a heavy trailer on any roads is just plain negligent. In the event of an emergency stop, you will not! Unless you are towing with a very large truck.....OP never mentions what TV is used.

I can imagine what an accident investigator would do when they discover the brakes are in poor condition or failed from lack of inspection, testing or plain maintenance.

Second thing was another poster's comments that they towed through a trip with no brakes and recommended basically "Just take it easy and you will be OK" (not the direct quote) is plain hogwash.

We all have to take responsibility for our units and maintain them properly. Even if there is a failure that is premature, or a fault of DRV, component mfg etc. Don't take these risks for yourself and also those around you on the road.

Get off the road and get the parts sent to you and fix it. What ever it takes. Is this risk worth keeping a travel schedule? Really??

I think plenty of folks have answered how to find the parts, contact Kodiak and DRV etc. I truly hope you are able to get the parts and continue your trip safely.

OK, my 2 cents. FWIW.
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
jbeliveau

Nothing like kicking someone when their down.Hope you feel better.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Sorry Bill is 100% correct. This is not a convenience issue like the awning is broken and won't go out, this is a major safety issue that could effect not only the rv owner and his family, but the other families on the road. Your talking a rolling bullet with little control of where it might go without braking power needed to stop it. That is my 2 cents worth.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
wingnut60
Site Team

jbeliveau,
Have you even determined what brand of brakes are on your trailer? Do you know if only the pads are worn, or that the pistons aren't applying the brakes?
From other threads with hydraulic disc brake problems, if you pull it long enough like it is, you will trash the entire system and it will probably disable you somewhere on the road at the worst possible time/place.
Your call--pay them now or pay them later.
Joe
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
billr

Quote:
Nope, not at all actually. I avoided saying anything for a while, thought that even if it wakes one person up to not do this then its worth it.

Sorry to hear you took it as kicking you while you were down. I would hope you would see it as possibly saving your life or someone else.

We all can understand what its like to have issues while on a trip, maybe even a trip of a lifetime. It can be very disappointing to be delayed, adding cost etc. But being safe is worth it. Period.

Let hope you can get your parts and brake issues sorted and enjoy the rest of your trip. I do mean that!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Motor31

Driving a rig like that is not a matter of convenience it's a matter of negligence and would be viewed that way in court should something happen in route to the destination. Knowingly operating a vehicle in that condition would easily fit that situation. It is far far different than driving a vehicle with a light out. Even if you have a vehicle that is equal to the weight of the trailer, like I do, you are still not likely to be able to stop in time and should you brake hard enough likely to jacknife the rig and lose total control of it.

This is a situation that requires getting the thing fixed before you get on the road for a trip.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
netjam

As the one who drove without trailer brakes from Ontario to TN, I agree with the comments of billr and motor31. I do however feel that some explanation of my situation is in order. In May of 07 I picked up my first rv or trailer, the Elite Suite. I took a 5thwheel driving course and set out. For 2 years I never felt that the trailer brakes worked properly and visted numerous rv dealers (while warranty) and truck trailer places (often paying $100/hr) for brake system inspection. They all told me the trailer brakes were operating as designed. I believed them, this was my first trailer experience, but it never felt right. I visited at least a dozen shops during this time. In 09 I left western Canada for Mor-ryde in Goshen to have my IS suspension looked at and I asked them to look at the disk brakes relaying my concerns. They indicated all was fine. I went down the road to Indiana Interstate for a few repairs and asked them to check the brakes...Paul told me all was good. While going over the bridge from Port Huron to Sarnia the trailer brakes quit. I went to Can-Am in London where they told me I needed pads. I paid $1300 for pads and a new brake controller in the truck thinking maybe the controller was the problem. I spent a month traveling Ontario and all seemed good. When leaving Ontario, the brakes again seemed iffy. By the time I got to Knoxville I knew something was amiss. I told Butch at RVs for Less to fix it or remove the disks and put drum brakes on the trailer. Butch indicated that the problem was the Actibrake actuator and that DRV was well aware of it. He got DRV to supply a new (different brand) actuator and pay his labor. After that everything was fine. I certainly do not suggest driving without trailer brakes but as a first timer towing and countless places telling me "everything is fine". I drove on thinking it must be me, the equipment is fine.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
bstark

There's just too much missing from the O/P's information to go at this with any success from remote keyboards.

Examples:

Kodiac or Dexter.
Worn pads in one post but brakes gone in another.

Why are the pads worn out? relying upon the trailer brakes too much? If so then towing without them is even more dangerous if you were over reliant on them before.

These things are the simplest units to work on and gotta say it; I found changing out the pads of the Dexter system to be far easier than all of the bumph you go through to change out a set of electric pads.

In all the miles we put on our unit I only changed them once and they weren't that bad even then.

Any trailer service place and a good deal of the tire service shops would likely be able to perform this chore in an hours time given they have the parts in their mitts and you haven't scored the disks to scrap in the process of towing without material left on the pad backing plates.

The O/P would find the info for service he would likely need at the very first RV park he pulled into. Just ask the front desk or canvass the owners of any larger trailers sitting in there and bets are they'll know where you can get it done.

To the O/P do anything you have to do to prevent towing with poor trailer brakes up to and including throwing youself on the mercy of a local chapter member of Good Sams club.

If you were anywhere near me way up here in Ontario, Canada I'd do it for you in a heartbeat.

Good luck.