Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Wisc-Mike

Portfolio extended waranty Any input appreciated!

We are considering purchasing an extented waranty for our new MS 5th wheel. I have a very strong background in mechanical repairs. Worked for over 18 years as a certified Master auto mechcanic specializing in computer, electrical and engine repair. We have owned Class "C" motor homes for 20 years.

That being said, these new DRV products have a lot of high tech electronics that could need speciallized test equipment as well as the many hydraulic and plumbing systems which do not look to easy to get to on the road with limited tools and equipment.

Our dealer offers a 7 year policy from "Portfolio Extended Service" which is administered through First Extended Service of Florida, and road side assistance through "Road America Motor Club".

Nothing showed up in the forum search.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wisc-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Cheif 2

It is not so much the high tech electronic items that may give you a problem, it will be things like slide rollers, wheel bearings, brakes and suspensipn problems not to forget the hydraulic system. I don't recall the name of my extended warrantee company, but make certain that you don't fix anything that may be covered by the warrantee or you will be out the $$. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in northern California with a bad wheel bearing and hub that I changed myself and the insurance wouldn't pay up because i didn't us a shop although I called them and told them of the break down. There was no shop in over 100 miles and the unit couldn't be towed.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Motor31

It's the big expense electric items that make an extended service plan worthwhile. That means the fridge (most expensive) the AC units and the hydraulic pump. The rest is not likely to be much of an expense short of catastrophic failure. I would never buy a 7 year plan. You can get an annual plan from good sam. You do not know how long you will keep the RV.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
terry and jo

I would have to look up what our 7 year warranty plan is called. In our case, we had one on our previous Rockwood Ultralite fifth wheel, and when we traded for the Mobile Suites, we got back money from the 7 year plan. Of course, that was "sort of" rolled back into the new 7 year plan on the Suites.

"Sort of" means that the returned value was sent to us after the sale with a check from the warranty company.

So, you might also research whether there is a pro-rated return if one does trade fifth wheels.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Okie

The first time I tried to use my extended warrenty I found that the comany was going bankrupt, was sold to another company, long story short I was screwed.
Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
RonS

I tried to use mine for foggy windows............they dont cover glass.
Save your money.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
golf_bears

With all of the “fix-it” skills you have and 20+ years of Class C experience I would be little concerned that I would not be capable of fixing any problems. As a result I would take the money you’re considering on spending on an extended warranty plan and put it into a CD or some other investment. If and when a major expense comes along, after your warranty period, you can use those funds to pay for it.

The biggest problem and risk with extended warranty plans is as Okie explained. Most of these companies run out of money sooner or later and go belly up. They are kind of like a “Bernie Madoff Ponzi Scheme”. If on the other hand the states they operate from forced them to be bonded for potential loses that would be helpful but still no guarantee they will be around if and when you need them.

Save your money and fix things yourself, you’ll find out that it just isn’t that difficult. We’ve had our RV and TV now for 3-1/2 years and I fix most of my own problems short of warranty items. I certainly do not posses your “fix-it” skills and abilities but wished I did. If I did I would put an RV “fix-it” sign on my rig and hire out for a little extra money, put that money away in case I had a major expense on my rig.

As far as Emergency Roadside Service, I think you got a one year plan with Coach-Net from DRV when you bought your rig? I've had to use mine a couple of times and they are great folks to work with.

Enjoy the ride and make sure you have lots of fun along the way.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Wisc-Mike

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions! I have been struggling with this decision for a month now. The pros and cons are pretty close as the split responses also show.

One of my big concerns is the inconvenience of getting the repairs done. If service was easy to find and completed in a reasonable time, I could easily justify the $2,500. for the peace of mind. But we camp in remote locations away from big cities.

Has getting service/repair work on a Mobile Suites on the road been hard to find? I called several local RV dealers; only a very large RV super store said they would work on it. But the service writer did not know what a Mobile Suites by DRV was. Scary!

The plan we are looking at is transferable or pro-rated at time of sale.
The plan is funded by a chain of large RV dealerships with a common owner. Seems reasonably secure. They did this after a previous one they sold went belly up leaving them with a lot of unhappy customers.

The coverage is close to Good Sams from what I have read from both.
Maybe not as strong in finding approved/preferred service locations.

The Quote from Good Sam was only for 3 years. They would not give me any idea how much the next 4 one year contract would cost so I could compare more fairly. Do the Good Sam contracts go way up in price after the first 3 year contract?

Again, Thanks for any help or suggestions!
I plan to be as helpful as I can in sharing what I find for problems, fixes and maintenence advice. I have already learned a lot from this forum already.
Wisc-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Most after-market warranties are full of fine print--just read Trailer Life on the Help Me column. You being in Wisconsin? just plan a trip back to Howe, IN, near the end of the warranty and have DRV work on everything that needs it.

DRV usually finds someone to do warranty work in critical situations when still under warranty.

If you are not near a main-stream city for repairs, having an extended warranty may not work any better.

Also consider Paul Cross of Indiana Interstate RV in LaGrange for work--he knows as much or more about the DRV units than the factory does.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
golf_bears

We're from WI (in WI now) also and did exactly what Wingnut60 is suggesting. Been to the factory and to Paul Cross. Paul Cross is great to work with. Has worked very well for us.

If you're on the road and have a problem you cannot fix, all you have to do is call DRV, Tom Peck, and they will find a service center for you regardless if you are under warranty or not. They are great at supporting their customers.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Has getting service/repair work on a Mobile Suites on the road been hard to find?
Some/MOST places will tell you they will get you in next month....
They tend to take care of there local customers first. Witch is understandable.
If I were you and plan to travel I would save my money. And do the work myself.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote