Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Caseyj

2008 Select Suites

I looked at this brand yesterday and fell in love with a 36ft with a rear entertainment feature. The TV rises out of a cabinet and it had a side bath. Very nice lay out. It listed for $68 and the dealer would sell for $51 with some added options such as thermopane windows. However, the price quotd to me on my trade in (2004 Sunnybrook 2750) was only in the area of $11,000. I might mention that it is cherry condition and has only been used three times. Original purchase price was around $22,000.

In my case if I elected to puchase the MS, I would also have to upgrade my truck to something heavier. Another expense excluding taxes, insurance and plates.

With something this large, I guess my question is - are units of this size used only for full timing? I can't imagine, with current fuel prices, that one would be running around in the country touring. Do most of you have home bases or just follow the seasons? Thanks.

Caseyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
sr

Caseyj,

No plans to full time, just travel the country. Yes fuel is expensive, but we'll just not spend on other things.

The Select is a great unit and could be used for full time. Good insulation!

Have fun and hope to see you on the road!

2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
jack_diane_freedom

We saw the same unit last week and it is very nice. The Select Suites are quite well done. We week-ended for two years with our 36TK3 and have since retired and spend 6 months in Florida now. We do full time but will take several nice trips this summer. The fuel usage is not as scary as you think. Once you land some place the truck does not move much, things like groceries and local event.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
missourijan

I agree, the Select can't be beat. We picked ours up on June 1, 2006 and have lived in it every day since then. We workamp, Calif in the winter, Montana in the summer and a stop in Arkansas somewhere in between. We have everything we need and still have some half empty cabinets. That new model RESB is great, but it didn't appear to me that the TV swivels, does it? Since the TV is in the back and the recliners on the side the TV needs to swivel. I really like the redesign of the entertainment center in the TK3, you get everything, TV, storage cabinet and the fireplace. We have the cherry cabinetry and have received many, many compliments from visitors.
Go buy one now!
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Caseyj,
I pesonaly don't believe the Select Suites are that much nicer than a Sunnybrook. The construction is very similar. Some things are better in the Sunnybrook and some are better in the Select Suite.

If you want to "move up" I would recomend a Mobile Suite.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Caseyj

Huck -

The salesman told me that the Select Suites, were between the Elite Suites and the Mobile Suites and all were made by Doubletree? I heard that the Mobile Suites were a spin off from the Sunnybrook line and later came into their own. Now, I am confused?

I do agree that the Sunnybrook Titans with the extreme weather packages are a close choice of mine. I have reservations of pulling something in the 36 ft. range along with it's increased weight and as I stated before, I would also be looking for a heavier truck. Probably a medium duty.

Thank you for your response. I'll check it out.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Your salesman is wrong.
Do your own research, don't trust a salesman.

The Select Suites are the lowest of the three made by Double Tree. And the chassis is different than the Mobile and Elite. Just check out the location of the front landing gear and you will see the difference.

I used to have a CrossRoads Paradise Pointe and didn't think that the Select Suite was much or any better than the Pointe when I was shopping for a nicer/better 5er.

Hope this helps you....
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
Caseyj

Huck -

Your absolutely right! I did some more reading last night and the Select is the start of the seiries. However, I like those cherry cabinets and some of the other features such as the reduction in weight. Other than that, I don't see a whole lot of difference. I would like a firberglass roof though.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. No better knowledge than someone who has been there.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
sr

Caseyj,

The Select is a great RV. The basic construction, Insullation etc. are the same as the Mobile and Elite. The difference is the weight. The more heavier the unit, the bigger axels, tires and frame is needed. DT designed the Select to fit 3/4 ton/1 ton SWD vehicle market. Not everyone wants a dully or a deisel hauler to drive around once they get where thery are going. Most of the basic ammenties are the same as the Mobile. A little different layout to accomodate them so they can keep the weight down.

You will be perfectly happy with the Select. The construction and the features you can get on the Select is far better than other Top of the Line Models. For the weight and price range, there isn't a better 5th Wheel out there.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Caseyj

Thanks to everone who has responded. I hope that no one was offended by one model vs. another. They are all great units.

I don't live far from Howe, Ind. so I am planning on tripping down there some time soon. Again, thank you for your comments.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
billr

I had the opportunity to see the new Select Suite at the RV show last month, and I was very impressed. Not to take away from anyone that has a previous years model, but I found they had made some very nice improvements on them and really closed the gap on the Mobile Suites. The cherry cabinets are especially nice.

When you do visit the factory, take some time and crawl around all the models and do some comparing. Ask lots of questions! They don't mind!!

One thing to note is what another poster mentioned, the axle and tire capacity, as well as pin wt. They are less wt than a Mobile, but not by too much. Also the wts they quote on paper and on the placards are off. Our unit was 1300 lbs heavier out of the dealer than the brochure said.

Depending on the floorplan and expected type use, I would look seriously at the Select.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
cptxguys

Caseyj
If you follow the Doubletree products over time, you will discover a few things that may address some of your questions:

1. They make improvements year after year on each of their product lines (Select, Mobile, Elite).

2 When you tour the factory, you can see and ask about the quality construction - some of which is similar in all units (such as wall framing, insulaiton, wiring, etc.), some of which is unique (suspension, cabinets, carpet, etc) to the different models - Including the fiberglass roof on the Elite Suite.

3. Doubletree is very good to work with when 'customizing' your RV to the way you would like it. Additional outlets, removal (credit) of furniture,
solid surface tops in place of wood on the dresser, etc. Ask if they can/will build a Select suite with a fiberglass roof and the additional cost. It never hurts to ask!

We have an Elite Suite that we take from place to place and a Mobile Suite that we leave parked on our ranch property. We've discovered it's actually more cost effective with the price of diesel fuel to NOT haul the RV between our home in Austin and our ranch in Stillwater, OK. We don't full time, but hope to do so one day. When we do, we'll be prepared with the unit we really enjoy.

We happen to tow with a 1 ton dually.

2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote