Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Motor31

Air conditioning issue

I figured that this would be a good time to mention this issue as the weather is starting to warm up. Several of us have had the starter motor and capacitor burn out on the Dometic AC and ac/heatpump units that Mobile Suites uses on their rigs. I have had it happen 3 times now and once next August comes around will be out of the Dometic warranty. BTW the warranty is 3 years and the third year is parts only.

The usual situation is the AC starts to cycle. There is a loud hum and then it stops without running. It will do this several times trying to start the compressor. It usually also has a moderate to strong smell of burning insulation as electrical components are frying. If this happens shut it down ASAP as there is a good risk of fire.

What happens is the starter motor and capacitor as used by the OEM installation gets fried. The cause can be several things as I've had it happen at an RV park, a Military Fam Camp and at my Step Son's house with a separate dedicated power pole. The conditions were not the same at any one place so I can't narrow it down.

The pix show the burned units so you can see what they look like. the OEM parts numbers printed on the components are listed. (picture 1 &2)

Starter motor (small black square item) "Motor Starter WSX-5ACM"

Capacitor (cylindrical black item) "CAPACITRON #61B2D250043NNVT"

I don't know if the components can be purchased locally or not. My guess is they can from an AC supply or service center.

The info in quotes is what is printed on the OEM parts. I am not sure if that is actually the order numbers as Dometic didn't want to talk to me as a customer, they only wanted to deal with a service tech and I forgot to ask the tech that did the job for me the last time. The cost is around $65.00 for the two items from what the tech told me last November. They are common and he said they frequently fail. There are more robust parts out there that will work like those used on small residential units but Dometic won't use them. The tech said that Coleman does and their units don't fail as often as Dometics do in his experience.

The following is for informational purposes only do this at your own risk. I didn't suggest, ask, tell you to do this. I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night or attend the Dometic service school. I just watched and took pictures as the tech did the job.

Installation is dirt simple. Step one, TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER TO THE AC UNIT BEFORE YOU GO UP ON THE ROOF!!!!!!Remove the AC cover. ( 4 screws) Go to the small sheet metal cover over the wiring "bundle" (rats nest is more like it) and remove it. (picture 3) The 2 components are right in front and likely to be loose or flex tied to something else. There are 3 wires, just swap them to the new components. Keep in mind that a capacitor can hold a significant charge be very careful and do not touch the leads except with insulated tools. It WILL light up your life.

Assuming that the compressor and blower motor are in good shape all you have to do is close up and start the AC. While you are there it might be a good idea to clean out the fins and interior of the AC unit so it doesn't operate dirty.

I hope you enjoyed this little story and pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1174_169.jpg (58.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg ac_burned_parts004_189.jpg (40.2 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg ac_burned_parts001_179.jpg (69.0 KB, 286 views)

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Thanks for the info.
It may be very helpfull in the future.

We have had 4 RVs, all with dometic ACs, and have never had a problem with a one. But I have heard of alot on this internet.....

I have always used a plug in AC volt meter(somewhere it is very easy to see). I also bought an Autoformer that I use in parks with low voltage to our site.

Like I said, have never had a problem as long as I watch the voltage....

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
rverdlm

Thanks Mike, what a timely post. I think I have one of my A/C failing right now. Since the third year of warrenty is parts only what kind of labor charge have you had?
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Motor31

The charge I got was from a gentleman that does on site RV service in Tucson. He has base access at DMAFB so gets a lot of the military RV business. He is very reasonable. He charged me about $75.00 including the trip charge. The repair time was less than 30 minutes in installation including operating the unit to confirm it worked.

He knew me from previous repairs as he did the weld repair on the broken shock mounts. We had talked a bit while he did the swap out of parts. Since this was not the first time this happened on my rig he felt comfortable with my diagnosis. He only charged me for one visit and not for the first one where he removed the old parts before ordering the new ones while returning from a service call from another RV.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
RonS

Same thing capacitor burnt out. Went to RV place told them what it smelt like and they said 90% sure it was the capacitor. They had one on hand for about $35 but only work on them at their shop. I did not want to take MS to their shop as at the time we were all set up for the winter season in TX. I did not purchase the capacitor as I did not know how to put it in. Then got phone number of repair person who would make house calls. When I called to make appointment asked him to bring capacitor along, which he did. Was an easy fix, one that I think I can handle, now that I have seen it done. As I was still under warranty parts and labor from Dometic, I only paid for the service call $40, he then billed Dometic. If all future repairs would go this smooth I will be a happy camper.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
rverdlm

Well, I risked my life in the TX wind and went up on the roof. I opened every thing up. There was no problem with any thing on the electrical side of the AC. I cleaned everything and put it back together. Now I need to find what is smelling like hot electrical!
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Caseyj

I don't know if this relevant to the problem, but my A/C does the same thing as above prior to it's first start-up. When I turn on the air it will cycle as if were trying to start and the fan will hum.

When this happens, I take the shroud off and turn the fan blades until they run freely. Obviously, with the power off. Then when I put it back togeter it runs the rest of the season with no trouble.

Evidently, the motor shaft could use some lubrication but it's so much easier to spin the fan blades than take the motor apart.

Just a thought.
Caseyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
If you will excersize the unit, every month or two, the fan will not freeze up.
Well I don't like the word never or not but you know what I mean.

I have fixed three or four of these out on the road for people just by loosening the fan up.

When it sits all winter especially in storage the fans lock up ,sometimes, from non use. Just get in the habit of starting up the unit so that the fan runs and you are in business.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Gemstone

This is what it looks like...it is available on ebay: Hard Start Kit
I bought mine locally in Tucson, part # 3311883.000 $35.00 at Lance's RV.

In my case, it started once, then went back to trying to start the compressor....guess I have other issues.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
RonS

Call Dometic I think they are now offering a newer/better hard start capacitor.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Gemstone

"Call Dometic"....maybe I contacted them on a bad day, all they offered was a list of their authorized repair facilities...IMO...worthless.

Regards
Gemstone