Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #31
friz

If you promise always always to drive on pavement and never ever to put any of your wheels off payment then no you don't need 4WD. The only time I have ever been stuck was in my '91 F350 dually 2WD. Besides, 4WD gives you bragging rights when you belly up to the bar.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #32
Notanlines

Yep, what Friz said! Just buy 4WD and be done with it.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #33
Hanr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Yep, what Friz said! Just buy 4WD and be done with it.
Realize, 4x4 will drop the carrying capacity and towing capacity of the truck about 400-600 pounds. That's 600 pounds not available for pin weight.
Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #34
Hanr3

I have more to add to this thread.
I have a 2wdr with locking rear axle. I purchased the truck with Hankook highway tires on it. I would get stuck in my yard if the grass was wet or the ground was soft. Two weeks ago I bought Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventurer with Kevlar. It rained off/on for a week prior to our week long vacation, and it was raining the day we left for vacation. Backed the truck up to the camper, hooked up, had a buddy on speed dial just in-case. Locked the rear axle and slide it into gear. I crawled out of the back yard without a problem. Left ruts in the soft ground. 4x4 isn't necessary, but the right tires are...
Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #35
fjr vfr

Tires can make a big difference...same like snow tires in winter.
Anyway my experience after a couple years with a 4x4 truck, we went looking for a newer truck. I found a 4x2 truck I liked at the right price. I thought about it and realized the whole time I had the 4x4 I never put it in 4 wheel drive.
Since having the new, (to me) 4x2 I haven't had an issue going anywhere. I've taken it onto BLM land and down may dirt roads without issue. Consider how many class a,c and b rv's you see in those places and none are 4x4.
With that said, I always check before going. There are obviously places you can't go. I just haven't found many.

One other thing, we live in VA where we only have a sissy winter...lol. 20 years earlier we lived in N.E. and there was real winter. I had 4x4 vehicles back then with good reason. These days we head for the south west avoiding even the sissy winter.

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote