Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
dmascheck

Electric heater

First is there some way to search the forum before posting? Excuse me for being new, but I cannot find a search bar.

I'm thinking about buying one or two electric heaters for the trailer. I have noticed a couple of Lasko units that have great ratings, but thought others may have a different opinion.

I wish they had 240 volt units, that would sure help on amperage, but I'd have to run a separate circuit. Can it be done? Problems?

I also wonder why the AC's are not 240 volt??

Do some folks have heat pump style AC's. If you have Coleman AC's can they be changed out to heat pumps? Good idea?

dmascheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Notanlines

RV parks aren't set up for 240 on 50 amp service. And what advantage would you have on a 13.5 or 15K AC unit?

Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Rockyhud

Dan, the search function is in the black "tool bar" just below the top of the page where the Home, Forum, Photos and Groups button are located. It's just to the right of center in this bar.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Been using a Lasko tower space heater for 2 years, after my Vornados cratered. Has worked well--temp controls + rotation choice.
Need 2 for really cold days/nights, long cold spells. Remember that the furnace may be vented into the basement to heat that area, and the space heaters won't do that.
If you had an electrician handy, you could do any wiring you wanted done, but you won't be able to hook into a standard 240 house hold plug--50amp RV service is 120volt on 2 legs. Be careful of trying to use 240 household AC vs thinking 50amp is 240volt--doesn't work that way.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
dmascheck

Been looking at the tower online. Looks like a good choice and fairly good reviews!

I can do the wiring and have wired large control panels for three phase. I thought the hook ups at the parks were 240 volt. All 240 is, is two 120 hot legs. So all parks are 120 volt only. Sure seems it would be better having 240, less amps and a cost savings.

Oh well thanks for the info! I have a lot to learn on being a first time RVer!GRIN
Old 12-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
dmascheck

I just noticed the search on top! Thank you very much! IT should help asking repetitive questions!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
RV parks aren't set up for 240 on 50 amp service. And what advantage would you have on a 13.5 or 15K AC unit?
Or observations are different. We've only visited 1ea. RV CG that our 240V clothes dryer was not operable in a 50A service (locked out by PCS showing 30A service). Upon inquiring with management they dispatched an electrician who was able to re-arrange the supplied pedestal beakers. Apparently they'd done some work and re installed the 50 amp pair on the same buss in the panel. Although it is possible that 50A service can be provided with 2ea. 120V legs on the same phase (transformer taps) it's uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmascheck View Post
I'm thinking about buying one or two electric heaters for the trailer. I have noticed a couple of Lasko units that have great ratings, but thought others may have a different opinion.
One feature that we've found imperative with space heaters and RV's is, They need to have the capability to be set in a lower wattage setting. If they only come on, or revert to the high (1500W) setting they are just a breaker looking to be reset. Especially since there are few if any dedicated circuits with nothing else on them in RVs.

I wish they had 240 volt units, that would sure help on amperage, but I'd have to run a separate circuit. Can it be done? Problems?
Yes it can be done, But. Much would depend on the accessibility of all the components, wire chase / basement access to where you'd like the circuit placed.
This task would be more geared toward an advanced DIY'r or electrician. Our 240V circuit was wired from the mfr.

I also wonder why the AC's are not 240 volt??
As is noted travelers are not guarantied 50A service as they travel. So an occasional 30A service (or less) would in effect render the A/C(s) inoperable. We can easily do without our dryer for a short period of time. The A/C I think not.

Do some folks have heat pump style AC's. If you have Coleman AC's can they be changed out to heat pumps? Good idea? H/Ps are indeed very popular in RV use. H/Ps in general can have very high efficiency coefficient in ideal conditions. Outside of those ideal conditions (low temps, high humidity) the defrost cycles can be a drawback and in effect divert heat / energy outside. Or they simply mechanically lock out, reverting to a secondary energy source. As far as comfort, they tend to rely on higher airflow volumes that may not be as warm as folks would like blowing on them. Also in a rooftop situation the warmer air is more present toward the ceiling, rather than on your feet and legs.
All are very much a personal preference. I've had custom ground source fluid hydronic HP's that were phenomenal. Air to air that were not worth the trouble. YMMV. To swap out a functioning A/C to HP is doable providing there is ample capability for the supplemental / aux. heat.
Since CGs typically do not charge for Elect. short term, there may not be a negligible payback for the expenditure. Again there a no absolutes and YMMV.

Sure seems it would be better having 240, less amps and a cost savings.
Charges for electricity are based on actual wattage used not just on current or potential alone.
Cheers.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #8
dmascheck

I appreciate your extensive analysis. Seeing we are not full timers yet, discussing with the Wife about the benefits and it's hard to give up all the things you have worked for, for years!(GRIN)

You've given me much food for thought in what I have been doing or plan to on my older trailer. WE bought our trailer with the idea my 90 year old Mother might need to use it so she is closer to us. But then we thought about doing more traveling!

At present I'm upgrading lights to all LED's and changing out all the faucets to metal, new converter and want to put better entry steps and looking at a MoRryde system. Just but in a better toilet and the list goes on! I still want to get the bearings repacked and have the brakes checked! Seems the list gets longer and longer and I forgot we have room for a washer and dryer, so that's on the list to do!

I really appreciate your help and wish you and your Family a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #9
Notanlines

Mtntrek, we haven't seen a 240 dryer in an RV since the old Tiffins back in the day. What units do you have in your Montana?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Mtntrek

Quote:
I appreciate your extensive analysis.
Discussing with the Wife about the benefits and it's hard to give up all the things you have worked for, for years!(GRIN)
Isn't that the truth! Although, sometimes there is a gradual transition, and at some point our possessions can end up owning and controlling us.

You've given me much food for thought in what I have been doing or plan to on my older trailer. WE bought our trailer with the idea my 90 year old Mother might need to use it so she is closer to us. But then we thought about doing more traveling!
LOL, yeah we offered our last trailer (still in good shape) to one of our offspring. They had no interest what so ever. Instead they prefer to rent an expensive closet, apartment is an overstatement. And pay extra for a parking spot? Different strokes...

At present I'm upgrading lights to all LED's and changing out all the faucets to metal, new converter and want to put better entry steps and looking at a MoRryde system. Just but in a better toilet and the list goes on! I still want to get the bearings repacked and have the brakes checked! Seems the list gets longer and longer and I forgot we have room for a washer and dryer, so that's on the list to do!
Yeah the steps in 5r's can be an issue with seniors. You definitely have your hands full, and seem to be on the correct priority path(s). Gradually you go step by step.

I really appreciate your help and wish you and your Family a Merry Christmas!
Thank you! and to you and yours. Merry Christmas
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Old 12-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Mtntrek, we haven't seen a 240 dryer in an RV since the old Tiffins back in the day. What units do you have in your Montana?
Oops, Montana (location) is where we spent the majority of the Summer. Forgot to update the profile as we headed south. I frequent several forums and forget those items.
The units are Ariston Spendide which I believe is an Italian company. That didn't thrill me a first, having grown up around a couple Fiats and Alfas, sigh!
But I have to say the equipment is / has done well so far despite my DWs attempting to overload them at every turn. They've been used allot, dog beds, throw rugs, comforters, . Not having kept a spreadsheet or anything, I guess at CG laundry price$ they've paid for themselves in 18+ months.
BTW: I lived in Germantown TN in my youth. Memphis was
an old stomping ground, seems a world away now.
Be well!
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Old 12-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
merlinhomeauto

Quote:
Been looking at the tower online. Looks like a good choice and fairly good reviews!

I can do the wiring and have wired large control panels for three phase. I thought the hook ups at the parks were 240 volt. All 240 is, is two 120 hot legs. So all parks are 120 volt only. Sure seems it would be better having 240, less amps and a cost savings.

Oh well thanks for the info! I have a lot to learn on being a first time RVer!GRIN
You need to buy a volt meter and check what you are saying. I have wired a few campgrounds and all the Peds are feed with 220 volts as the 50 amp outlet. The 50 amp outlet is the same as an electric range outlet.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #13
Notanlines

I stopped at two RV dealers yesterday in Fort Myers, both carrying Ariston Spendide and both of them said that the dryer was not a 240 volt unit. The salesman at North Trail said they were all 120 volt. I can't get DW to wrap her head around another 120 volt dryer in an RV. We put Splendide stackable in our Raptor when it was new and we sold them the first trip out. Installed a dishwasher instead. Our 38rssa has the laundry section off the bathroom, but I installed white shelving.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #14
dmascheck

I appreciate the help. Seems from the info read we'll go with Whirlpool. They seem to have good reviews. I really hate cutting a hole for a vent and know they have vent less, but I'm unsure I want to go that route. Everything is set up in the closet for a pair. It has the drain and 120 outlet in the closet but no vent. I need to look again!
Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #15
dmascheck

We lived in Memphis for 10 years in Bartlett. Loved the area, but the town has changed and not for the better! We still have many friends there, but are glad to be back home in Texas for over 30 years now. Miss the short distance to go to Missouri or Kentucky and Mississippi. (GRIN)

I'm thinking about Whirlpool from the reviews I've read. We have a closet that is about 24" that is set up for a washer and dryer that are stackable. Has plumbing and electricity, but I don't see a vent for the dryer. I Know there are vent less dryers, but I'm unsure about them and I hate to cut a hole in my trailer for a vent!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #16
Notanlines

There probably aren't many towns (cities) that have actually changed for the better to those of us who may be over the age of 60. I've lived in Minneapolis, San Diego, Washington, DC, and Memphis (Germantown). I'll take my old hometown of back in the early 60's of Rice Lake, Wisconsin any day. If they could just do something about their snow.....
On to a more serious note. Think very, very carefully about buying a non-venting dryer. Keep in mind that that moisture has only two places it can go. The first is vented to the exterior of your RV and the second is vented to the interior of your RV.
Installing an exterior vent can be a very simple procedure, probably many videos on youtube or the like. I simply wouldn't suggest venting in an RV.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Old 12-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
dmascheck

I assume your fifth wheel has the vent? I need to recheck mine.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #18
Notanlines

Nope, not on this one. Not even a nice sticker that would tell where it should go. But I did come across about six videos on youtube to help you out.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
dmascheck

I’ll check You Tube and see what’s there. Didn’t even think about it. If I knew what’s behind the wall I would not mind.

What topic did you look under? Dryer installation?
Old 12-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
Notanlines

This should give you a good starting place. Search the right column also for associated videos.