Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Petrolero
Boondocking

Noob here with a mounting question-

Hi all:

I'm new to 5th wheels but have pulled a 24' Dutchmen Classic for about 5 years now, a couple local trips/year.

I have an Atwood hitch that came with the '84 32' Nu*Wa Hitchhiker, and I'll be pulling with a 2010 Titan shortbed with towing package. The dry GVW on the camper at 8590 seems to be within the 9400 rating for the truck- I have had zero issues with the 7000# Dutchmen.

I can see that I may have an issue if I mount the hitch directly over the rear axle - so my query to those who do this all the time is, how much to the rear of the axle can I safely locate the hitch? Am I better off to just get a Reese slider?

Edit-just read down a few threads and see where this topic is covered- I did a search previously but didn't turn up anything... So nevermind on this one-

Also, the new toy has no hot water heater due to the previous owner removing it when it started leaking... So I'll be in the market soon for a replacement. He saved none of the parts, and probably I'll opt for electric only.

Thanks for any links/suggestions.

Best,

Petrolero

Petrolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Nice to hear from you--hope you get the hitch situation resolved.
My only thought is what is the GVWR of the trailer--the most it is rated to weigh when loaded for camping? That might be a problem for the Titan.
Best of luck.
Joe
You may want to google NuWa owners forum as there is a large number of HH owners that help each other.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
mikey4813

Mounting Questions

As far a mounting your hitch, you pin center can be upto 2" fwd (not aft) of axle centerline. Also, alot depends on the type of pin box you have.

I have to agree with Wingnut. be very careful with the TV mentioned. Most trucks will git it moving but stopping it is a whole different ball game.

I'd seriously consider a slider unit under your hitch with the shortbed, otherwise you will have to pay very close attention to turning very sharp turns (as in maneuvering the rig into sone narrow backin site. Even some tight pull thru's can be a real challenge.)

Travel safe & enjoy your journeys!
Members: CCRVC, CCRVOC, FROG, Escapees, 5th Wheel Forums
mikey4813 is offline   Reply With Quote