Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
whmayhew

Red face Satellite receiver

We bought a used 2014 Mobile Suites SKSB3 that the previous owner had installed a Winegard satellite receiver on the roof. He kept the receiver. What do I need to buy for a receiver. The dish has a way to find the satellites. Does the receiver do this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

whmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

First you need to determine if the roof top unit is programed for Dish or Direct. Then contact the correct company bargain for the plan you want then schedule an installation.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Red & Bev

There is also a control box for the dish itself if they did not leave it. About 6"x 6" with Winegard on it.
Red & Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Dapperdan

Sounds like he already has the control box. I'd follow Cummins' advice. Pretty straight forward to me.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
whmayhew

After doing some research I discovered that there is no interface box. So I need that and a Dish Network receiver The receivers are fairly cheap, The interface is about $180. Thanks for the replies, I will keep searching for low prices.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Dapperdan

You might try E Bay. Just a thought.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
porkchop

There was a power box that supplies 12v control power to the Dish network satellite antenna. It was left in the section where all of the slide switches are. You plug it in to supply power to the antenna so that it can raise and move to find the satellites. Then unplug until time to lower. Plug it back in, turn it on and wait until it says "searching for satellite". Then push the power button again and it will say "stowing dish and powering off". Wait until dish is down and unplug until needed again.

But, FIRST< you need to obtain a dish receiver. It goes in the entertainment cabinet and connects to the tv and to the satellite cables there. The power control box and this receiver are 2 completely separate items with no actual interconnection, but the power box relies on the dish box to tell it when the antenna signal is obtained.

In the entertainment cabinet you will find 4 satellite cables. 2 of them go to the water bay outside, and 2 of them go to the roof. At this point use the 2 going to the roof. You can connect to the tv with your choice of apparatus. HDMI, composite, component or coax. HDMI will give the best picture and sound followed in dsecending order by the others with coax being the least favorable.

You will then have to go into the tv menu and go to "input" and set it to whatever type of cable and port you chose to use, again with HDMI being the best.

At that point you can turn the dish receiver on and push "menu, then 6, then 1 and then 1 again. You will see a screen that says something like "finding satellites". Just wait until it stops looking around and you are good to go. Go to live tv and enjoy.

If you are a new dish customer there may be other procedures required that may very some from the above so as to allow subscription and such

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
whmayhew

Thanks Bill. I saw the electrical box there. I went on the Winegard site and they show an interface box power supply and a separate interface box. I will look at the other box this weekend I already have the winter cover on it but can still get in. The satellite receivers are cheap, around $80.00.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
porkchop

I've never looked on their web site, but I can assure you there is no other interface required. The power supply to move the dish and the receiver are all that is needed.
For those who wonder how to tell a dish satellite from a direct satellite, you simply look at the satellite. In great big letters it will say "Dish" or "Direct TV".
I don't know how often you plan on using the tv, but I have friends who have had good luck purchasing the receiver thru Camping World and signing up for the package that allows you to stop and start service to match your time frame.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #10
whmayhew

Satellite receiver

Bought a new Dish Network Wally receiver from Tweety's for $74.44 shipped to my door. Seems like a good deal.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
PopBeavers

I have Directv at home and in the FW. I just take the DVR from home with me and plug it in. No extra charges.
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I have Directv at home and in the FW. I just take the DVR from home with me and plug it in. No extra charges.
Been doing that almost 4 years now. Never had an issue.
I keep the house's spare bedroom genie client in the trailer's bedroom al the time. Only take it out if we have guests.

I also have everything I need in the trailer to just make it a plug and play with the receiver. E.g. remotes, power inserters etc.

porthole is offline   Reply With Quote