Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
wingnut60
Site Team

Lippert/LCI service

In the course of owning a Suites, and reading about the front jack problem, I contacted LCI about them.
Lots of bad press, justifiably so, it would seem by numbers of people with the jacks not operating correctly.
Several posts on this and other forums about how to get them fixed--I opted to use the LCI website chat room to start a conversation about my jacks dropping at times overnight when dry-camped and hitched up.

To my surprise, they agreed to replace them if I could get to the plant in Goshen, IN. I was/am in the middle of an extended trip to west coast/CO/Maine and told them I could get there. An appt was set and I got here on Labor Day evening and stayed in the nearby Walmart lot (doable, but EXTREMELY noisy over past WM stays) prior to the 7AM appt on Tuesday. Several rigs showed up, all makes, for some type of work. Was greeted by Josh (Lead Service Advsr) and told the routine. I drove the rig around to the entry of the bay (had previously be told that the basement HAD to be empty) and dropped the trailer. Left it there and it was finished about noon today.
Front jacks replaced with NO charge.
Cannot say enough about the LCI experience on this one occasion--professional/courteous/on time/done as promised. Josh and Brandi handled everything, and the techs did the job as discussed.

The size/number of LCI plants in the area is mind-boggling--since they have the majority of the frames in the RV industry, along with that comes the associated ills of volume production. In this case, I am completely satisfied that they took care of their obligation to handle whatever mistakes occur.

On another long-ago note: I bought an '05 Suites in '07 from an individual that was just going out of the 2-year warranty. Doubletree honored some minor stuff at the selling dealer in Lubbock, but the hydraulic pump turned out to be undersized for the weight of the trailer. Traveled to Goshen in '08 and LCI replaced the pump free of charge--1 year out of warranty.

Thanks then and now to LCI/Lippert Components for taking care of me.

To add to this jack problem--Josh indicated to me that if the Auto Retract was used (I wasn't) it would pressure up the system to the proper psi that was needed to keep the jacks up. So, maybe I was partly to blame for the dropping jacks.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Dapperdan

Been there, done that..... Almost same scenario, called Lippert after some prodding from a couple of other DRV owners and Lippert stepped up to the plate and did us right...... Just like Joe's! Decent people to deal with for sure!

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
To add to this jack problem--Josh indicated to me that if the Auto Retract was used (I wasn't) it would pressure up the system to the proper psi that was needed to keep the jacks up. So, maybe I was partly to blame for the dropping jacks.
I wasn't either but that doesn't account for other issues either. There was definitely something(s) else leaking by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post
Been there, done that..... Just like Joe's! Decent people to deal with for sure! Dan
Uh huh, have the tee shirt too. Yes it was an inconvenience at the time. But I believe also that LCI was decent about the situation with us.

Thanks for the update. Happy trails.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Joezilla

Quote:
I drove the rig around to the entry of the bay (had previously be told that the basement HAD to be empty) and dropped the trailer. Left it there and it was finished about noon today.

Joe, Wish they had told us to empty the bay before we got there. Ours was full. They emptied it. Upon picking up the rig, we had to put everything back in. We just threw stuff in so we could get on the road.

I, too, had not been using the Auto Retract upon connecting to the truck. I will do it from now on.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Cummins12V98

Supposedly the same result holding the retract buttons for a second after they are retracted. I have always done that.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

LCI zeroed the system in their bay to the basement--level all way round. First setup, needed more nose high. Second setup, system shut down because I could not get the nose low enough to be past level, as I was using the old stack of blocks.
First session with LCI service over phone used basement again--got it set and level.
Second session, told them needed it level inside, not to basement (would have thought both were same level, but nope)--went thru it again with wife using level inside. Got it done and calibrated as we wanted. Now to see if it works right next setup.
Lesson? 'Level' ain't always the same everywhere in a DRV...
Joe

Will say LCI service dept is still good to work with--isn't their fault the trailer isn't level throughout.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

I set my DRV "LEVEL" with a laser level using the bottom of the frame at the 4 corners. Once set I used the little "HOPPY" levels I glued in place so they were level.

Now if mine gets to where it's level really isn't level I manually adjust to my old school levels and reset the system.

The levels work great while still being hooked up but want to adjust close for overnight stay without disconnecting truck.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
tampabikeracer

Send a message via AIM to tampabikeracer
This is from Lippert's website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382.JPG (141.6 KB, 23 views)
tampabikeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
porthole

Anyone using the new touch screen for the levelUp?

I have it, prefer the old version. Only real benefit is the 'auto hitch' option which may set the trailer to about 1-2" above your un-hitch height, but what I like is it will automatically raise the rear jacks.

I find the auto level is usually a different 'level' each time I use it and in manual control the out of level indicators are too sensitive.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Probably you need to recalibrate it.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
porthole

Quote:
Probably you need to recalibrate it.
Been there done that .........
The auto level is just one of several problems with the latest LevelUp.
2020 F-450
Old 10-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

I have to agree that the LevelUp seems to drift off calibration over time/use, but also mentioned above that 'level' in my trailer is not consistent within the unit itself. What is important to me is walking/sleeping and doors staying put where you place them. Consequently, using the basement floor to calibrate 'level' does not work for me--have to use the floor in the kitchen area and a 2' level to calibrate. Have found this to work best to get closest to optimum levelness (is this a word?).
Since getting the new jacks and having discussions with LCI techs over phone, the trailer is going to correct 'level' to our satisfaction when setting up, and now using the AutoRetract when hitching up.
Mine is a '15 model year--don't know what 'advances/improvements' have been incorporated since then.
Don't mean to say you aren't doing everything correctly, just what works for me.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
porthole

I've had LevelUp since August 2010.

The system in our new DRV is not the same as what was installed on my Cyclone.

The DRV is noisier, slower, does not operate smoothly if you try and lower a bit after raising, just drops sometimes when operating the jacks, e.g if operating manually and retracting the rear jacks sometimes the front will drop several inches - very quickly.

Once all four rear jacks are on the ground the system will barely lift the rig.
If the trailer is lifted some (auto level or manual) and I tap the 'rear jacks' the trailer always drops on the right side first several inches before all four jacks start to move.

What I have found if I am operating manually is I need to only extend jacks whiles trying to get level. If I do any retracting the jacks move a substantial amount.

And there is the slow settling at times overnight.
2020 F-450
Old 10-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
wingnut60
Site Team

Duane,
The '05 I previously owned had the identical problem--I managed to get to Elkhart not long after buying it used to get the pump replaced. As I read on this forum years ago, the OEM pumps supplied for several years after going to hydraulics instead of electric operation proved to be too small to consistently raise the trailer quickly, and the front always dipped scarily before lifting to hitch up.
Contacted DRV (Doubletree at the time) and they approved replacing the pump with newer/more powerful model. No problems after that.
Joe
Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #15
Chad Heiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
I've had LevelUp since August 2010.

The system in our new DRV is not the same as what was installed on my Cyclone.

The DRV is noisier, slower, does not operate smoothly if you try and lower a bit after raising, just drops sometimes when operating the jacks, e.g if operating manually and retracting the rear jacks sometimes the front will drop several inches - very quickly.

Once all four rear jacks are on the ground the system will barely lift the rig.
If the trailer is lifted some (auto level or manual) and I tap the 'rear jacks' the trailer always drops on the right side first several inches before all four jacks start to move.

What I have found if I am operating manually is I need to only extend jacks whiles trying to get level. If I do any retracting the jacks move a substantial amount.

And there is the slow settling at times overnight.
If you are having issues like this there is something wrong with your system. I don’t know what the issue is, but I would have it addressed. My system doesn’t do any of the things you describe. It works exactly as I expect it to in both manual and automatic mode. It isn’t noisy or slow, it doesn’t settle or drop and it easily lifts the trailer off the ground. Hopefully you find out what the issue is with your system.
Chad Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #16
porkchop

I concur with Chad. Sounds weird to me. Good luck

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Heiser View Post
If you are having issues like this there is something wrong with your system. I don’t know what the issue is, but I would have it addressed. My system doesn’t do any of the things you describe. It works exactly as I expect it to in both manual and automatic mode. It isn’t noisy or slow, it doesn’t settle or drop and it easily lifts the trailer off the ground. Hopefully you find out what the issue is with your system.
That is the plan once we slow down with the season's travels. Figure I need at least 4 appointments in Indiana.

DRV, Lippert, MOR/ryde and Mikes Paint.

2020 F-450