Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
flyingjack

Tarps for covering 5er

Does anybody have any experience with covering 5er with standard Home Depot plastic tarps. Do they rub and cause problems if grommets don't touch? Maybe put plastic wrap on first to keep dust particles out. I would assume the canvas type tarps would be more of a "rub" issue. Since retired back to Colorado; sun is more intense than TX and my home city has too many restrictions for building an awning even though I have two acres.
Thanks
Jack

flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
fjr vfr

Do not cover your trailer such that it can't breath. Air has to move otherwise condensation will build and lead to mold and mildew.

Check the covers designed for RV's and you'll see they are all designed to let air through.

If you use plastic tarps, use them like a tent where you support them above so air can flow under them.

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
Notanlines

Jack, what ^^^^ he said. It is fairly common to see pool noodles laying on the roof to support the tarp, but that will support NO SNOW LOAD whatsoever.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Pulling Serenity

Has anybody here had a good experience with a cover called Gold Shield 5L from carcover.com? They are really expensive ($440) but say they have a "Lifetime" Warranty. I am the second owner of this 2006 Montana that was well kept. Previous owner kept it in a shed during the winter months. I currently have to keep it at a storage facility that sees the Ohio elements. Is $440 overkill for a camper this old?
Pulling Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
CoMaddMax

My sister covered the trailer with regular tarps and it wore the paint off even though the grommets were not rubbing the trailer. You need to buy a cover for the trailer the lets the condensation escape and does't rub the paint off. I recommend the Adco. It has made it through 2 seasons here in CO and we have some pretty strong winds that shredded a Classic cover in the first season.
2018 Chevy Duramax DRW
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
flyingjack

CoMaddMax:

Just got my Montana winterized yesterday and new ADCO Designer Series-All Climate cover installed. Seems too light weight for the winds we get; how long have you had your ADCO? Nice sewing job and plenty of straps; just hope it lasts more than one season.
Thanks
Jack
Old 04-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
flyingjack

Just installed my 2nd ADCO; left 5er uncovered for winter as I wasn't around to monitor. First ADCO installed fall of 2019 and made it to Jan 2020 before shredding from high winds. ADCO replaced with 2nd cover as per lifetime warranty & this will be my LAST warranty replacement. Now I will add 3 additional webbing straps with light weight bungees so there will be some give. See what happens. As they say: "these are my opinions and your mileage may vary"