Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
layne

cable TV

OK, here's the deal. We've never had cable TV, always just satellite or antenna. We have the 07 elite suite with the electronics in the bedroom corner closet. Everything else works, but we can't seem to get cable. We've hooked to the park cable connection and to the trailer. We set the little black box to "cable TV" but still no cable. We have samsung TVs in bedroom and living room. Any suggestions? We've used two different coaxs in case one was bad. Does TV have to be on a certain channel or something. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
john

I think it has to be on channel 3

Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
wackum

You have to use your samsung remote and set up the tv for cable input and then scan for cable channels
wackum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
layne

OK, there is a cable switch, but nothing happens excapt the word "cable" comes on. How do you scan for channels. Should the screen be solid or snowy when you puch cable? Do you have to turn off the satellite unit or does it matter?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
morscuba

Take the TV remote. Go to the menu button and scroll to TV setup. You will have two choices TV or Cable. select cable. Scroll to channel memory and select. It will automatically memorize the channels. You might want to turn your Ant booster button off ,,it sometimes interfers with cable signal
Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Ridge Runner

We could not get cable on ours either. Found out that the cable and satellite connections on the outside of the camper were reversed.
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Red Ram

And when you have exhausted all of the above suggestions, try what I did, just bypass the whole damn thing.

I ran a new cable through the loom of wires that go up and behind the big TV. I made it about 30 ft. long on the outside end. I attached some stick on velcro to the inside rear of the slide out near where the cable goes in so I could coil it up when in the travel mode.

Then you hookup to the cable TV source and set the Big TV on cable and
auto select and then sit back and enjoy it.

If I knew someone that could do a simple wire up of the trailer with a VCR/DVD player I would be happy to give them all the other junk and the six remote controls and the wonderful Harmony H659 all in one remote that is susposed to do everything, which it dosen't.

Sorry if I come off a little ireatateable (sp) but I have spent uncounted hours trying to make this thing work with no help from the dealer, and just last week while camping in a county park the Sony 5 disc CD/DVD quit on the last night. It is dead, there is power to it but will not function in anyway.

Other than that, I love my trailer.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Motor31

I spent the better part of a day going through the rats nest of cables in our rig. I found that there were 2 splitters installed on our rig and one was installed backwards to boot. This effectively blocked the signal from the outside cable connection. I removed one splitter and set the cables as per the instructions on the entertainment systems. Things now work as they are supposed to. I only get signal from one of the outside connections but that is OK to me since I can now control the box on the inside.

Removing splitters is critical if you are using a ground mount satellite antenna through the outside cable / satellite connection. A splitter will end up blocking the signal from the antenna, especially the cheap ones that DT installs.

To trace the cables I had to disconnect them from the unit and attach a small flashlight battery via jumper wires to each cable one at a time and use a volt meter to see what cable end on the other end of them was "hot". Time consuming but it does confirm where each one goes so you can install them like they are supposed to be set up.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
layne

Thanks for all your help. The coax was hooked up in the wrong place on the little black box and once that was changed and I worked the TV remote correctly, everything is great. We can change from cable to satellite with the remote and we weren't expecting to be able to do that so easily! Thanks again for all your suggestions. Layne
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Gemstone

Seems like DT is STILL technology challenged...I thought the QC Manager they were supposed to hire would have had a check/test procedure in place by now...this "haywire" issue first cropped up in the '05 models I believe....maybe earlier.

Gemstone
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
mloftin

I had an extra satelite connection installed at the factory while unit was being built and it does not seem to work. I have 3 cables in the eqipment cabnet marked as satelite input and on marked as cable, at this point I am using one of the satelite cables and the one marked as cable to run both of the receivers. This weekend I starting trying to find the extra cable that the factory had installed using a 9 volt battery and a couple of jumper wires, the only two that showed voltage are the ones that I am currently using. I think the other two marked satelite input are for the roof mounted dish, but now where did the other cable go? Can anyone tell me the route the these cables go so I can try to search this one down? Any ideas?
2008 MS 38RL3 #4346
mloftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
mloftin

I had an extra satelite connection installed at the factory while unit was being built and it does not seem to work. I have 3 cables in the eqipment cabnet marked as satelite input and on marked as cable, at this point I am using one of the satelite cables and the one marked as cable to run both of the receivers. This weekend I starting trying to find the extra cable that the factory had installed using a 9 volt battery and a couple of jumper wires, the only two that showed voltage are the ones that I am currently using. I think the other two marked satelite input are for the roof mounted dish, but now where did the other cable go? Can anyone tell me the route the these cables go so I can try to search this one down? Any ideas?

2008 MS 38RL3 #4346
mloftin is offline   Reply With Quote