Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Forums Community Discussions > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
CALinSC

USN Atack Squadron 75

RADM Denton was a well-known survivor of nearly 8 years in the Vietnamese POW camp known as the Hanoi Hilton. He was piloting a VA-75 A-6 aircraft when shot down over Hanoi in 1965. VA-75 was operating off the USS independence (post #4). VA-75 was the first squadron to operate the A-6 in combat.

http://www.veterantributes.org/Tribu...?recordID=278+
Old 09-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #2
CALinSC

Extraordinary River Boat Captain

I doubt that any story about this warrior can truly describe his ability to direct his patrol boats against nearly overwhelming odds. Sailors like me, who served in the Vietnam Theater of operations in 1965 – 1973 all, knew of this man’s accomplishments against the Vietnamese Sampan fleet. The news of extraordinary heroism travels quickly throughout the USN fleets.

http://www.veterantributes.org/Tribu...20of%20Vietnam.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
CALinSC

USN Fighter Squadron 41

Working on the flight deck, as an airframes troubleshooter for VF-41, during a 1965 deployment to the waters off the coast of Vietnam for Fighter Squadron 41, I got to talk with all pilots and RIOs during their walk around (preflight) inspections. One of those was a young ENS/LTJG that would have to eject from a squadron F-4B Phantom II over land and was captured by Vietnamese ground forces. He spent nearly 7 years as a POW. I last saw him on TV upon his return to the USA. His goal was to survive his capture and become a Navy Pilot. He did that and more before his retirement as a Pilot and Navy Commander.

http://www.veterantributes.org/Tribu...hp?recordID=68
Old 09-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
CALinSC

USAF BGEN Robin Olds

No tribute to military personnel would ever be complete without Robin Olds near the top of the list. The man had an extraordinary career in the USAF/USAAF. He was very popular and his achievements as a pilot speak for themselves in this tribute.

120243325_10217673508658809_3400433512371341034_o.jpg 211002-F-XS730-1003-2048x1365.jpg
Old 09-25-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
CALinSC

Captain David Hoffman USN

CAPT Hoffman survived Vietnamese POW camps and went on to command Fighter Squadron 41 aboard the USS Nimitz and later commanded the Aircraft Carrier Kitty Hawk.

I first met CAPT Hoffman when he became XO/CO of VF-41 in the late 1970s. He was a “fire and ice” autocratic leader and very difficult to work for. We often had disagreements. With respect of our different leadership styles, we worked things out. In 1978 I was advanced to SCPO, and skipper Hoffman immediately assigned me as division chief of the line division. He said they needed a leadership boost. During the “turnaround” for our next deployment, my good friend AFCM Frank Regan, VF-41 command MCPO Retired. Because the air wing’s maintenance department did not have any CPOs with flight deck experience, they had me sent to them for temporary duty for the next deployment. In the interim, skipper Hoffman assigned me to the duties of Command SCPO. He was still angry with me for having black aces painted on our sister squadron’s aircraft and not found until the deployment homecoming fly-off. (We put them on the flaps). Skipper Hoffman made me write a letter of apology to the VF-84 skipper. CAPT Hoffman was known as the “Terminator” when he was CO of the Kitty Hawk.

http://www.veterantributes.org/Tribu...?recordID=1360
Old 10-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
CALinSC

SGT Leigh Ann Hester

Women will become a force to reckon with in all branches of the United States military commands.

Sgt Leigh Ann Hester earned the first silver star by a woman since WWII.

https://foundationforwomenwarriors.o...lass-u-s-army/
Old 11-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #7
CALinSC

Charlestown, SC

The USS Yorktown (CV-10), a WWII aircraft carrier has been restored and is an open to the public memorial at Patriots Point, Mount Pleasant, SC.

We stayed at the local hotel near the memorial so we could tour it before going on an anniversary cruse out of Charleston. We’ve toured almost all of the USN ship museums/memorials over the years.

There is a lot of very good parking at the memorial and a nice park area with a great view of the newest bridge from Mount Pleasant to Charleston.

1 Yorktown Memorial .jpg 1a Yorktown Memorial .jpg

1b Yorktown Memorial .jpg 1c Yorktown Memorial .jpg

1d Yorktown Memorial .jpg