Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Dapperdan

I can't comment on I-80 west as I haven't been on it for a couple of years but when you get to Indiana it turns into a toll road. The Indiana Toll Road is in pretty good shape, they've been busy resurfacing it.

When I go to the Elkhart area I use I-94 east to exit 40 (Michigan City/LaPorte), taking 20 straight east to the bypass around South Bend (31/20). Staying on 20 all the way to La Grange (if I'm going to DRV). 20 is a four lane divided highway all the way to Middelbury where it turns into a regular two lane highway. It's used by LOTS of RVers and truckers avoiding the tolls. We were just out that way in July or August and it's an easy drive, with or without a trailer.

Good luck, from everything you're saying you're going to be making a trip to Goshen in the not too distant future!

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Rockyhud

Thanks guys. A few years back (2011-2012) I worked TDY for Rolls-Royce in Indianapolis, IN and drove to a few locations within driving distance and found most of IN roads to be pretty decent. I've been in some of the states I-80 runs through but so long ago that a lot could have changed in that time.

Not related to this potential trip, but the worst roads I've encountered in a LONG time were in MS and OK. Highway 49 coming into the south side of Jackson was absolutely THE worst and Hwy 287/385 across the OK panhandle wasn't much better, but Hwy 49 was a doozy. It was so rough that I pulled over onto the shoulder, little that there was, 2 separate occasions to check the truck and RV for damage because it was rattling us so violently that I thought sure something had broken due to the super hard jolts and sounds of something that broken or shaken loose. Turned out these sounds were coming from the 5th wheel safety chains banging the truck bed floor as the rear wheels crossed the expansion joints between concrete sections of the roadway. And it wasn't just our vehicle enduring the roughness as I heard similar loud noises from each passing semi-truck and trailer that passed by when I was checking things. I guarantee we will NEVER travel that road again.

2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
porkchop

WHOA!!! 5th wheel safety chains??

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
Rockyhud

Yup. I'm using an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2 hitch and since some states mistakenly consider it a gooseneck adapter I decided I'd buy and use their safety chains kit, just in case any LEO in one of these states were to stop us and check for gooseneck trailer safety chains. Don't really need them except for that but figured they might save some time and aggravation if such an occasion ever occurred.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
porkchop

Yea, you can never win an argument with LEO along side the road.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Cummins12V98

"Beefed up 97 Ram 2500 4x4 with 12-valve Cummins, 5-speed, long bed. Tows the DRV very nicely."

Sorry I just had to say something. I don't care how "Beefed Up" my 98 12V was I would never consider towing my last DRV a 36SB3 and really would not consider a 38'. It aint about towing it's about handling.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #17
Rockyhud

No problem - to each his own. My version of "beefed up" and yours may well not be the same. FWIW, I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased with how well my truck performed the entire trip from FL (basically sea-level) all the way home to CO (just shy of 7000 ft). Even with very strong cross-winds in FL and again in TX, I didn't feel worried about how the truck and RV were behaving as it stayed in my lane without "white knuckle driving". There were even times when I'd look at the speedometer and see that I was inadvertently going faster than I should and the stopping and general handling capabilities gave me confidence there wasn't a mismatch. Again, to each his own.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 AM   #18
Notanlines

Rocky, I gave a little thought to your situation and originally was going to ignore what you wrote. After giving it some consideration I changed my mind. Your Dodge has a cargo capacity in the 1800-1900 pound capacity. Let's add up a tank of fuel, you and Momma, maybe a hundred pounds of "stuff" including your hitch in the bed and you only have about 1300? pounds left. How am I doing so far? Pin weight on your RV will be about 3800 pounds, maybe more. I don't plan on changing your mind, but it is important that you and maybe some newbies realize that a 21 year old 3/4 ton truck is not suitable to pull a Mobile Suites under any circumstances. As a matter of fact, not any of the 3/4 ton trucks in 2018 are suitable to pull any Mobile Suites. YMMV
Harley Roadking & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
Cummins12V98

My 36' DRV had a pin of 4,500#.

I did a rear disk kit on my 98 it did improve braking but in all honestly the brakes on it were SH!T. There is only so much a person can do. I know the 2nd gen rAM's are capable of towing much mort than the book says but......

Air bags can be added and 19.5's but IMHO that is NO WAY enough to "HANDLE" that massive load.

Just for fun please let us know what you did to "Beef Up" your RAM.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #20
Stevencoles

Our fix scheduled for April

After reading this thread I called Lippert, got a no hassle excellent response and have an appointment in April for them to do the work. If you have this issue definitely contact them.

Stevencoles is offline   Reply With Quote