Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Putz75

Best Fifth Wheel Brands

Hey All,

My wife and I have a 2017 42' Shasta Phoenix fifth wheel. We love the floor plan (392BL) pullout couch in living room, bunk room with pullout couch, master bedroom with king bed. We thought it was a good camper when we scoped it out at the RV show. Yet, when we picked up the one we ordered, we found that it seemed to be put together in a hurry; panels falling out from not being nailed into wood, AC barely even flowing in bunk room (have to put your hand over the vent to feel any flow), table posts pulling out from the floor, etc. It is not lost on me that fifth wheels/campers flex when in transit. They cannot be compared to a traditional home. Yet, you expect a level of quality to match the price.

With that said, what are your thoughts on the best RV manufacturing companies or brands that are the best? We eventually want to get another one and would like to have an idea of which to include and which to avoid.

Thanks

Putz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

That is indeed a tough question--seems no matter the price level, TT/fiver/MH, they all can suffer from build quality. We have had good luck with DRV fivers, but many have reported problems of all sorts with new ones--dealer prep/followup is paramount to have firmed up before buying. It is up to you only to figure out whether to sign or not, and perhaps buying a 1-2 year-old unit MIGHT be the way to avoid some issues. Pay for an independent inspector might help.

2015 38RSSA #7382
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
Notanlines

Wayne, your Shasta was probably purchased in the neighborhood of 50K or so. A comparable Montana would run in the 70K range and in a DRV about 110K. There is a reason for all this. I'm not saying the worth is comparable, but one certainly is better quality than the other. Overall, you'll get what you pay for.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Txtower

I would say you get what you pay for to a point. I think like anything, brands tend to get inflated with price. Not saying the brand is bad but the price does get inflated a little bit due to popularity. That is definitely one factor.

I was looking new camper for a little while and saw a whole range of quality to non quality. We eventually went with a used Grand Design. I noticed If it was a “LITE” or “Feather Lite” the camper tended to have less quality with amenities and features. Some manufactures just seemed to be cheapie.

We looked at new Crossroads, Forrest Rivers, Keystones and many others. For example I discovered that I liked the layout of Crossroads and not Forest Rivers but the Crossroads seem to be lesser quality. It’s a matter of personal preference and getting out there to check them out and figure out what fits your needs.

I now have 10-15 years with our new gently preowned camper to do a lot of research and figure out what my ultimate new fifth wheel will be when I hit retirement . I’m sure we will continue to see these threads and I know I will get some insight! Cheers all
Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
KOZKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Wayne, your Shasta was probably purchased in the neighborhood of 50K or so. A comparable Montana would run in the 70K range and in a DRV about 110K. There is a reason for all this. I'm not saying the worth is comparable, but one certainly is better quality than the other. Overall, you'll get what you pay for.
NO YOU DONíT!! Itís all on an individual basis - thoroughly inspect, if youíre not qualified get someone else to thoroughly inspect it! I met a guy last year that was on his third keystone alpine ($75,000) and it still had problems - the second one he got the slide out actually fell out on the ground! Keystone actually gave this guy two new units because the first one had so many problems. Two weeks ago I saw the same guy at the campground in a Grand Design that was $100,000 (I checked on website) and I witnessed him screaming on the phone about the awning being broken and leaking inside his brand new 5th wheel. He had the maintenance guys from the campground helping him put tarps over top of it!! Iím sorry to say thatís the truth unless youíre buying a custom unit for $400,000+ itís just the luck of the draw - Iím lucky - my brothers are lucky - my nephew is too, but we all have some small issues they really do make a statement of the random quality of the all these units! Iíve had 2 instances of wiring going bad and finding staples through the wires that slowly worked into a short. My rear axle was bowed and luckily I noticed it before it fell apart they gave me a new one on good faith and said it wasnít their fault!?!?! Sorry to be a downer but good luck AND I still LOVE my 2018 Keystone Laredo 340FL ($60k)!!! By the way our first trailer was a 2015 Jayco 19 XUD ($14,000) no problems at all for 3 years of heavy usage LOL