Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
KBL

KBL new to everything

We just ordered and new Silverback 31IK and now need to get a truck I would like to use a gas unit to pull my rig, PROS And CONS would like to hear them all.
I am also considering a Anderson Hitch the Pros and Cons on this also.

We now live in Northern Kentucky but are repositioning to Northern AZ. we are interested in visiting a lot of National Parks west of the Mississippi, and hints of things to look for or clubs to join would help.

Questions on following.

Insurance for trips like AAA or something is that needed?

Camping clubs (Good Sams, PassPort America) are these good or worth it?

Well this should keep the conversation going for awhile.
thanks in advance all info is welcome and needed.

Kevin

KBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
CHAPS2018

What tires come on that Silverback are they 614’s?

Lots of posts on gas vs diesel. For me its mileage, climbing mountains, tank range and moving my 14k rig when it needs to be quick.

Roadside Insurance-lots of discussion on this too. One thing is certain...you need it as tows can get expensive in a hurry. We have Good Sams...heard good and bad about it, we have never had to use it. I read last week that your auto carrier may offer the same coverage (ie, State Farm in my case). I also use them to insure my trailer. It’s on my list to check into this week.

Camping clubs: Good Sams is a given if you plan to shop at camping world (discount). Also Passport is worth it if the places you go support it. I figure for the purchase price you will likely get your money back if you travel a weekend a mont or so.

Congrats on the new rig and good luck.

CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
fjr vfr

I would personally go with a diesel. Our previous truck was gas, we now have a diesel and I would never go back. The diesel truck gets much better mpg and walks up long pulls without breathing hard.
The maintenance cost and fuel is higher, but the increased mpg and relaxed pulling power more than offset.

One other thing, I use the truck lanes when traveling. With a big unit like you have you'll have trouble gassing up at auto pumps. Finding RV lanes is inconsistent and many times have a long queue.
I see your unit is about 14,400 lbs gross so that means about 2,880 lbs on your hitch plus the hitch, passengers and cargo. You'll have about 3,500 lbs of payload.
Personally I'd look for a dually, although a srw 3500 truck will do it. If you're starting new just go for the dually. You can't have too much truck.

Good luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
Slow Six

From what I have seen of the Anderson hitch I would not even consider it. Hitches are like trucks, there is no such thing as to much. There are much better hitches. The new "puck" systems are easy to use and when hitch is removed the bed is clear. A diesel is better. You have to decide how much travelling you are doing and where you are going. I know quite a few are going gas engine and seem okay with it. Consider your GCVW and the truck rating. Again if some is good, more is better and to much is just right.
Slow Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
KBL

Thanks guys for your knowledge and opinions, I have been doing more research and talking to folks that own and Diesel is the choice of truck for its ease of pulling refueling, and just less stress on the road.
Now I have got it down to a 3500 I just need to find a good price on a SRW or DRW model 1 to 2 years old.
KBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
fjr vfr

Good Luck in your search.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
elliott-maine

If you are spending a lot of time in the SW, I highly recommend joining Escapees. Decent to extraordinary parks, good prices. Friendly people.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
Neal

Getting the Anderson has to be just about the best decision we've made since buying our first 5th wheel. Not only is it totally easy in and out, but it is rated with a higher payload than most anything else. Not to mention it cost less that most 'economy' models.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
GearHeadOSU

Diesel, diesel, diesel. Repeat after me: DIESEL
You won't be sorry!
GearHeadOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBL View Post
Thanks guys for your knowledge and opinions, I have been doing more research and talking to folks that own and Diesel is the choice of truck for its ease of pulling refueling, and just less stress on the road.
Now I have got it down to a 3500 I just need to find a good price on a SRW or DRW model 1 to 2 years old.
Be sure to run the VIN to check the towing capacity of whatever truck you consider. Tow capacities are all over the map for the same model depending on engine, transmission, suspension and rear end.
Also don’t rule out a brand new truck. Heavy duty trucks are not in great demand and dealerships are giving big discounts off MSRP.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
Hanr3

For that load, gas only if its a daily driver and your commute is less than 20 miles each way.

Insurance- I go through my insurance broker. He gets me deals on home, autos, boat, and RV. Rolls it all up into one payment.
I have a Good Sams membership because of the discounts on products I had to buy for the RV. Things like sewer hose, chocks, extension cords, fresh water hose, etc. I bought mine at my local Gander Outdoors. They had a sale and then added the discount for new Sam's Club members. I think I saved 35% off a $200 bill of sale.

National Parks- go with America the Beautiful pass. They have a variety of "membership" levels. Plus they are good for multiple Federal Government areas, National Parks, National Monuments, COE facilities, etc.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
I have the Access Pass and save 50% at each facility. State Parks are a different story, and subject to each states requirements.
Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
DennisM71

As "fjr vfr" said, you can't have too much truck - see signature.

Definitely Good Sam for RV park discounts and roadside assistance; Passport America will pay for itself in a couple of months if you are on the road regularly; Escapees is well worth the cost; America the Beautiful pass (or whatever they are calling it now) is a no-brainer.

If you go diesel register as a Flying J/Pilot RV member. Gets you pump start without going to fuel desk and cash price with a CC.