Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
luv2cruise

Accessing Internet on the road

I noticed a couple of questions posted on another thread and thought I'd start one specific to obtaining the internet while traveling.

We are preparing to go fulltime and I'm wondering what everyone is using as access. In your opinion, which is best and why? I've heard about going wi-fi, cell phone, land line (when available), dish and...

My dh and I were talking this issue just today and I'm still at a loss which way to go. I've heard that the dish way is great but very expensive. We currently have Direct TV in our house and have a take along dish when we travel so I'll probably stick with Direct for the TV. To be honest, I haven't checked with them on price for having internet service on the road.

Thanks in advance for all the information, opinions and such

Well, I'm slow I guess I just saw the thread about Internet Access under High Tech. I would still appreciate some input here, especially from those who are accessing from the road.

Janice

2004 36TK3 Mobile Suites #0752
https://deanandjanice.blogspot.com
SKP # 89736
luv2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
osiebosie

Obviously, I, too am awaiting replies to your questions.

--Sharon

SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Motor31

I use a Direcway satelite system to get online. I've had it for over a year and used it in over 23 states reliably. The only time it hasn't worked is when we went to Mexico.

I set it up even on an overnight stop as long as we didn't overdo the travel during the day. I am very satisfied as there have been many times that I was out of cell coverage but still had the internet including a program that lets me dial other folks on the phone.

I was impressed enough to go to the Dway installers school myself.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
rverdlm

We love our DirecWay. At $60 a month we feel it's well worth it. We stay in touch with all our friends and family and it allows me to aggrevate all the people on this and other forums. It's fast enough to upload and down load big pictures without problems.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Hobo

I to have Direcway and have been very happy with it fore 2 years. I have my Direct TV mounted on the same dish and get a better signal then I did with a seperate dish. With the universal adopter, Add $100. It was a breas to install and it is great knowing I set up one dish and kill to birds with one set up! I have been from Yuma, AZ to Podunk, MI and the only proben I had to work around is TREES. The is one good reson to go with Direcway and a trypoid that can be moved away frome the RV rather then the roof mount that the others offer. Not to mention the difference in cost saving of a couple grand.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
rjallred

There are lots of opinions out there. It depends on how much you use your Internet and the speed that you need.

I personally use Verizon National Access through my cell phone and am quite happy.

Speed is around 60 kbps with down loads closer to 160 kbps.

Start up cost is under $40 with the monthly cost $80/month unlimited minutes. You can also use this method while in motion. One big advantage is no set up needed.
Now Teton Homes 36'
GMC Dually 3500
www.beastfeast.org
rjallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Add us to the happy tripod Direcway users. Went thru the phone hook up to the laptop, Verizon, but there are many places around the country that Verizon doesn't have a signal. Also tried the going to the Library and got into areas where you had to wait for your turn, sometimes hours. Also some parks(getting to be more) have wifi, some free(not many) most charge a reasonable fee. Seemed to work fine, but since not every park had it, we could not count on being able to get on line.

So,we bought the tripod unit from Dustyfoot.com, and have be VERY pleased with the whole set up. I guess it is not for everyone, but for a lot of us, it lets us connect where ever we are.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
fulltimer5er

wireles networking

WE WENT WITH CINGULAR WIRELESS COST 149.99 WITH A 150.00 REBATE AND 78.00 A MONTH A LITTLE SLOW BUT WHAT THE HAY WERE RETIRED SO WHO CARES LIFES TO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT INTERNET SPEED
fulltimer5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Motor31

Or apparently how to unlock the caps lock...... :P
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 06-26-2005, 07:33 AM   #10
rufnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
Or apparently how to unlock the caps lock...... :P
Ha Ha, beat me to it!

Now back to the thread. How long does it take to setup and get the signal with the Direcway tripod? I just got a Verizon National Access card but haven't used it yet outside of the yard. I've been using Sprint but their service is very limited and quite slow.
Everest Owners Club
rufnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
rverdlm

It generally takes longer to get everything out and assembled than it does to find the satelite and get on line.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Usually, unload,and setup, maybe 10 minutes, find signal, 2-3 minutes, wait for computer to lock on and run it's tests, 3 to 15 minutes. It depends on time of week, day or weather conditions where they are. It really is worth to us all the time it takes. If I said always less than 1/2 hour total time, I wouldn't be telling any fibs.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 06-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
cwsoules

I have used my Verizon cell phone to get Internet Access for over a year and are satisfied. Last year when on a trip to the East Coast we were in an area where some other cell phone company was providing access and we were unable to get on line. I believe it happened in two locations on a 7 month trip. It is a bit slow but not bad for getting e-mail.
2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
Motor31

I have Verizon for cell coverage. Good company and phone. There have been numerous times in the 24+ states we have been in where we didn't have cell signal. I don't understand why but even in downtown Austin MN (the home of Spam meat product) we didn't have coverage. Except in Mexico, we have had Direcway satelite internet and with that also have phone service through the internet wherever we have gone.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM   #15
MDTdriver

We have been with Verizon since 1987 different name then, in fact Verizon is the third name for that company.

I have been useing in cell phone to go online for 3 years on the road (been fulltiming since 2000)

I have seen a big change for the good in service over the last 5 years in our travels West to East and North to South in this Great Land of Ours.

I go online after 9pm (that time in any time zone) and on weekends for Free, avg. month for data calls is 25 to 35 hours online on charge, I have 450 min. program America's Choice/In Netword Unlimited Long Distance No Roaming and seldom use all of them, but I get my moneys worth by going online. Verizon is the isp and I have three e-mail address all are free, Hotmail,Netzero,Yahoo. Work for us
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #16
Stripit

We used to use Verizon also, till we went to the tripod. The problem we had, was the cell connection didn't allow photos, or if we did get a photo, it took forever. We spent a lot longer on line to get 1/2 of what we can do now. Also, reception(signal strength) varied from area to area. Poor strength, meant very slow INTERNET, or it kept dropping out.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Hobo

Verizon

I also have Verizon to go along with my Directway. It is free for the *777 accsess as long as you do it after 9PM or the nights and weekend times. We us it if we are doing a over night stop but any more then that we set up the Direcway dish. The DW does a lot of E-Mail, shopping, and I do the banking all online so the speed realy helps over the Verizon 114KBS.
I see people are paying more then the $60 a month we pay for the Verizon Hispeed Data package and it is only good in laarge cities. I set up in the South West desert and with my solar can kick back and enjoy all the TV and internet I like. Would not be with out it.
Tri pod mont over roof mount so you can get a clear signal when in trees and the cost is much less.
On the DataStorm forum you can download a program called Point2040 that will cut the set up time in 1/2. I would say baring trees my set up time is 15 to 20 minuts out of the box to the Lazyboy.
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #18
MDTdriver

Verizon

Verizon phone internet *777 free and nights and weekends, that is going to be stop by Verizon, NO free internet any more, as of April it is being cutoff by the end of the year it will be gone!
The new way is, your mobile office kit will be still working but you will click on National plan, call Verizon and ask for the $59.95 plan per month it will be unlimited data calling still nights and weekeds for free air time.
I was told the speed will be about 40 to 60 kbs. That is better the the old which was about 14kbs.
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 PM   #19
Sharron

Does anyone have information about internet connection options on the road in Canada?

I'm still working, but can do a lot of work on line, which is the best of both worlds as it would allow us to travel and still get in some "paid hours" by using my laptop on the trip.
Rig called "Slick's Crib" thanks to husbands warped sense of humor.
Sharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #20
Hobo

I have Direcway and it covers all of North America with the exception of far reaches of Alaska. Cannada is no problem This web page will give you some idea of the settings for satalite AMX3. by clicking the map.
http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/amc3.html As you will see parts of Alaska are below the horizon

I also have the Verizon Mobile office and other then the cost of the kit there is only air time use acording to what plan you have. Free week end and nights etc.
777 is still there be it the slowest along with National Accsess if in a Verizon area and Express Network that works best for me as it takes in extended network areas

Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999