Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
sr

Mission Tires

I also posted on the Suites Forum

I have a wear issue. On the front tire, street side the second rib in from the outside of the tire looks like it is new. The ribs going to the inside from that rib has wear and the outside rib next to the second rib has the a little more wear as the inside ribs. Is this a sign of the belts breaking down? I have the same issue on a tire curbside, but the back tire is doing the same thing not as bad. Fortunatly I changed the street side tire before it could blow and do damage. There is about only 6000 miles on the tires. They are Mission that came with the unit. Any help would be appreciated.

2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
sr

Mission Tires Response

Well I called Tireco, the distributor of Mission Tires and they said what I described was the tread seperating. They asked me to get the DOT number and the size of the tires and they would send me 4 new tires that I can take to a tire dealer and have them put on. I would have to pay for the installation and the tire balancing. I didn't think that was to bad since i did use the tires for approximatly 6000 miles. They would have sent me a spare, but I had already repplaced it due to my neglagence that destroyed one of my tires. There was no issues at all. They were very nice and did not question anything. I do have to send the old tires back, but they will give me a UPS tracking number and will pay for all shipping as well. I asked them what type of tires they would be sending and said that they would be a better grade of tires that were put on the Select and that I should not have any trouble with them. She also said the tires were warrented for full replacement for 3 years.

If anyone has Mission tires, I would watch them closely and if you see anything that doesn't look like even wear, call Tireco and get them replaced. (800-227-8925)

Also I did have my Suite weighed by Stacey and all was okay with the weight.

2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Motor31

Just a question here. I've never heard of Mission tires. Is that the brand or dealer franchise name?

Also are those the H rated 17.5" tires or the smaller G rated 16" tires?
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
sr

Mike,

Mission is the name of the tire and Tireco is the distributor. The tires are made in China. They are E rated tires. The Select, which has a GVWR is 15200, with 7000 lb axels so I only need E rated tires. I was going to purchase new tires this year and was going to upgrade to G rated tires, but since I will be getting new tires, I will wait and see how the new Sunstar's wear. I have read that the Sunstars have some of the same problems as Mission, Goodyear, Bridgstone, Michelein etc. I guess it is just bad luck if you get bad tires. Anyway, they are being delivered tomorrow. I will keep all informed how they wear.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
dave007

I had a blowout on my Select Suites last summer and it made me examine the Mission tires... The more research I did the less confidence I had in them... I found no visible problems with the other three, but the fact that they were made in China and the 65mph. speed limit caused me concern...as well as the many problems that have been noted on the RV.net forum...

I finally upgraded to the G rated Goodyear tire, and I now feel much safer... I think however if you feel safe with your tires, and make sure you never exceed the 65mph. limit, you should be OK...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
sr

Dave007

One of the questions/concerns I have, are the wheels that came on the Select able to take G rated Tires or will I have to upgrade the wheels as well? I was going to look into upgrading the Tires this year, but since I have the new Freestar tires, I will be giving them a chance to see how they work. The China thing also worrys me, but I have a friend that has Goodyear that says made in China as well. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
dave007

sr,

I had the same question. I checked with doubletree and they gave me the number of the wheel mfgr... I've already forgot the name and the number, but they informed me that the wheels are rated for 110psi... I believe this is the same wheel that comes on the mobile suites...

We just returned from a 5,000 mile trip and I was very pleased with the tires... I pressured the tires to 80lbs. cold...(which according to the chart should be enough for my rv weight)... But what I noticed was the tires pressured up to between 100 and 108 after I hit the road(according to the pressure pro monitor)... I have to admit that I didn't realize the pressure would increase that much... It makes me wonder if my blowout on the Mission tire was caused by to much air pressure...

It was very interesting to watch how a combination of speed, outside temp, road conditions, and even wind affected the tire pressures...

Good Luck...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
sr

Dave

It's good to hear the wheels are rated for 110psa, but is this cold or the max pressure. I would be concerned putting G rated tires, inflate to 110 cold and then the heat buildup increased the pressure over 110psi. I do know if the pressure is low in the tires, it builds up heat as well as pressure. Should you not inflate the G tires to the max cold temp of 110 lbs to reduce the temp even if the weight of the trailer is under the 110 max? I wonder if the temp and pressure of E rated tires inflated to 80PSI is less than G rated tires inflated to 80PSI due to being underinflated based on the cold ratings. A lot of questions that I don't have the answers to yet.

I am getting a pressure monitoring device much like the pressure pro, but it also gives the temperature of each tire as well. As soon as it comes and I take off on another trip, Ill let you know what the numbers are.

Thanks for the feedback and keep me informed if you find out any additional data.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Motor31

The tire manufacturers know that the tires will heat up and the air inside increases in pressure due to the heating. You won't blow it up because of that if you inflate to the max listed pressure cold. They are designed for the load with this situation in mind. That's why you want to inflate before you move. If you can't do that, make a note of how much pressure you need to add to each tire when checked cold then move to get the pressure. Add only that number of pounds of pressure to each tire that you noted it was low when cold. You'll need to check the pressure twice to get the right number of pounds to add to the "warm" temperature pressure to get to the proper inflation.

The main danger to tires is the amount of sidewall and tread flex. Low pressure = more flexing. If you decide to let air out after the tire is warm you just increased the amount of flexing the sidewalls and tread will be doing increasing the wear and temperature of the tire material.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
sigo'suite

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...=tire+pressure

Scroll down to the 8th post on the thread link above. I know it relates to the G114's which are 17.5", but the point in question can be made just the same.

Just my opinion, but I don't think 80# pressure in the G614's is enough, regardless of what the chart says, and as such you are getting more increase in pressure due to heat caused by sidewall flexing as a result.

Air them up to 100# for example and I bet you don't see a resultant percentage of increase as you did at 80#.

Note the asterisk which notes that the pressures on the chart are good as of 01/01/05 and to go to GoodYears website to get current inflation rates. As of today's date it still says the same thing "01/01/05".

Now rdunk, fire away!!!!!

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote