Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
bstark

My goodness Tom which one of my posts on any forum has led you to expect weight police discourse from me? You'll notice I was not the one requesting any info about the O/P's choice of tow vehicle. I live and let live, we're all adults here and freedom of choice is something I believe in.

I suggest the poster enjoy his new trailer with whatever he chooses to tow it with. I also believe, and fervently hope, that folks providing information relative to towing capacities are doing so with a genuine concern for the poster and a desire to inform only.

I've been over on RV.Net long enough to know these discussions can often lead to acrimony regardless of how well meaning they begin.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
2 DA WDS

Bill & Bruce,
I did not make that clear. I was expecting to hear some technical specs from you guys about stopping, not calling you 'weight police'.

I did have a brake failure once towing our 1st SOB 5er. fortunately? the mustang in front of me couldnt stop in time and opted for the ditch which left me just enough room to stop. However, that lesson was 'do not go with the flow' of traffic, I was driving much too fast. Since then I have always used 60 mph as a top speed. But, I wonder how big you would actually have to go to be covered in a panic stop/brake failure situation? I have a feeling that the tow ratings dont really take that into consideration. You could be within the towing capacity but still not be able to stop with a brake failure.

On the other point about hills & mountains I'll have to see how it goes next year in Colorado & Yellowstone.

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
Mike2338

Congratulations!

I am jealous of your new coach!

I am also very confident you will enjoy it.

m :D
Mike2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
RGordon

When my Actibrake Hydraulic actuator melted down 8 hours from home, I had to drive from Branson to Memphis without trailer brakes and another 40 miles to the dealer for new actuator. At the time I knew something was not right about the brakes, but did not know I didn't have any at all until I found all the brake fluid in the basement. My F350 Ford dually did a remarkable job of stopping the 18K plus MS without trailer brakes, however Ford does have the largest brake rotors of the big three trucks. Like someone said you do not have much braking if something happens to the trailer brakes. That is another reason to make sure you have enough truck to handle the load.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #25
jdwilson3

I'm surprised that Stacey Frank has not gotten in here. He has some remarkable files listing weights etc.

His input on the subject is gospel.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #26
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I try hard to stay out of those questions 'can my truck safely tow my trailer' or 'do I need a bigger truck'? I say someone smarter than me spent upwards of a million dollars trying to figure that out and posted what they feel are safe numbers in their books and on the door plates. If you believe their money was well spent, follow their recommendations, if not do what you want. It always ends up being the owners decision to tow. So far I think every person who has moved up in tow vehicle has felt better having more truck. Rarely do we hear, I have too much truck, too much power or too much brakes.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #27
bstark

Stacey: Some time ago you posted a spreadsheet (invaluable, I copied that stuff and hope I didn't violate any laws by doing so) showing results of a number of the then current models of DRV products. When or if you are able to weigh enough of these new "big-boys" 40 & 43 footers, will you update and post for our interest?

I'd love to see the pin-weights on these guys with the triple axles. I'm thinking they're probably balancing out to what the older tandems are averaging.

Sorry to O/P for hi-jack. :oops:
Old 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #28
Gunship Guy

Enjoy your new trailer.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #29
jaoneil

Now after all that advice, are you sure you want to pick up that 40 footer?
SOITC Charter Members #1493
jaoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Diesel-Gypsy

Yes sir!...I too want to wish you the very best of luck with your new DRV product!

I'm certain you would not have spent that kind of serious money with-out thoroughly evaluating your hauler choice.

I know when the day comes for me to up-grade to that size of DRV product, I won't have to change my hauler either.....

Hopefully one day we'll have the chance to meet, and share our mutual towing experiences.

Good luck!

Rick