Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Motor31

Microwave oven light

For those who have not had this item go out yet I figured I'd post about the bulb in my unit. In this case it's the interior light rather than the exterior or bottom light.

I have the GE space maker microwave and convection oven model JVM1490BH. There are two lights in the unit, one for inside and the bottom counter light. Both bulbs are the same. They are available from Leows and I assume from other hardware stores as well. The Leows bulb is a Bright Effects #27217 20 watt halogen with 2 straight (bayonet) prongs. The bulb does not rotate to lock in place, it's just a friction fit. I got them for $4.98 each. I got two so I have a spare handy.

Before you do anything, unplug the oven!

The interior bulb is a minor pita to change out. You have to remove the wood trim above the oven held in place by 2 screws. Then you have to remove the vented top trim from the oven. It is also held by 2 screws in the top of the oven. You'll need a short philips screw driver for that. The screws are the forward most 2 screws in the unit. The trim will then pivot forward and out as the bottom is held by a couple of hooks.

Look to a small grayish plastic vent in front of the unit. This may have a small screw in front or be held in place on the right side by a small tab. Mine had a tab that you light the right side past. The vent is held in place by a screw on the back side. Just loosen it and pivot the vent out of the way to the left. You'll need a really short phillips screw driver for that and the rest of the job.

There is a small shiny cover held in place by a couple screws right behind that plastic vent. Remove the screws and the cover will slide to the right to come out. It covers the light assembly. Inside a small opening you will see a pair of white wires going inside of another cover. Those are the bulb power leads. That small cover is held in place by a tab on the right side and a hooked ridge on the left. You have to squeeze the light shield / reflector to the left to unlatch it them pivot the thing up and right to take it out. The bulb will be attached to it. the bulb is a tight (very damn tight) friction fit and may have a small dab of some kind of adhesive on it. At least mine did. Just pull it straight out.

Take the new bub, holding it in a piece of paper towel and insert it in place. DO NOT TOUCH THE NEW BULB WITH YOUR BARE HANDS OR ANYTHING DIRTY, IT WILL DRASTICALLY SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE BULB.

Assemble the unit in reverse order. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes or so once you've done it before and it sounds harder than it is. It does help to have small hands when doing the job especially in getting the bulb holder in and out of the space it's in. Beware of sharp edges in the sheet metal in that area.

The bottom or counter light is simple. Remove the single screw holding the light lens. The lens will pivot down. Remove the bulb from the holder and replace.

Again they are both the same bulb. GE only has their part number on their site and tech center, so no help there for the bulb model.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote