Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
RodeWorthy

More on Propane Gas Detector

This is further to information on errant propane alarms that got started in another thread:

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...?p=22534#22534

It was bad practice on my part to open this topic in another thread. Sorry - hope this fixes it.

After receiving several propane alarms - mostly in the middle of the night - I removed the alarm. After reviewing my options I reinstalled the alarm and it went through its sensor cleaning cycle for ten minutes before for going into the armed state monitoring for propane and CO. We have now had a week with no alarms and the unit is working properly.

It appears the alarm only goes into a sensor cleaning state when it is first powered up. I don't know this for sure but that is what apprears to me to be the case. At the time of the alarms we had been on the road for over a month and the 12V switch had never been turned off since we started out. It may be that the unit just needed to go through its cleaning cycle. The easy solution to this is to shut the 12V switch off and then back on to allow the unit to do its housekeeping. The right LED will flash green while it is in the cleaning mode.

I will report further if this theory is destroyed with more 'false?' alarms.

This is not to discount the valid reports of others in the the thread quoted above.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
RonS

What off button?? Mine only as MUTE. Are you talking about the battery disconnect??

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
RodeWorthy

I didn't refer to a button. Yes, I am referring to the switch in the outdoor control panel where the hydraulic switches are located. There is no shutoff on the detector other than removing it and cutting the wires. That is what I did when I removed it from service.

4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
bstark

Nice bit of info Don, didn't previously know that little tidbit.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Motor31

Using that switch won't cut power to the 12 volt stuff in the rig if you are hooked up to shore power, it just isolates the battery bank. If you are not hooked to shore power and the only electricity is from the battery then it will shut everything 12 volts down.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
RodeWorthy

Mike that is an interesting observation. Shore power or not, shutting off the 12V switch in my MS definitely isolates off all 12V lights and appliances in the house portion of the rig. The hydraulic circuit, running lights and brake actuator are not wired through that switch and are not affected.

I keep forgetting my rig is unconventional in that it does not have a converter wired into it. I have an inverter with a built-in charger that replaces the standard converter.

I was not aware the converter is wired to the house side of the 12V switch. That seems strange to me but thank you for bringing that information forward.