Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
scowan

Hello from OK

New members Geoff and Steffi starting the research to own a 5th wheel or travel trailer. It is overwhelming.

scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Yes, it is overwhelming. Stick with it, go to the Dallas Southwest RV show if you have the chance, in Feb? Also on in Ft Worth, and in Tulsa and OKC annually.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
fjr vfr

If you choose a 5th wheel bear in mind, tow capacity is not the limiting factor. It will be payload. You will have about 20% of the trailers gross weight on the truck. For example if the trailers gross is 12,000 lbs you will have about 2,200 lbs on the truck. You also should understand the 5th wheel hitch, passengers and anything else in the truck counts toward payload. So in this scenario you could end up close to 3,000lbs of payload.

Do Not pay any attention to empty weights. The trailer will never weigh that when empty. Also the same can be said for hitch weight. Both of these weights are weighed as the trailer leaves the factory completely empty and stripped...no gas bottles, batteries and cargo. You're best to completely ignore these numbers. The only one that counts is gross vehicle weight.

One other thing is be very careful with sales people. They will tell you anything in order to get a sale. Personally I like going to RV shows, but I would wait to purchase anything. There is a high risk of being sucked in and ending up with the wrong unit.
I would also start with something used for the first year so you haven't plopped down a ton of money only to find you should have gotten something else. We went through a couple trailers before finding just the right one for us.

Best of luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
jonran5

Check out Rolling Retreats in Elk City OK. A great place to start.
jonran5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
oldretiredafguy

You might want to attend a rally or two, even if you have to stay in a cabin/motel. Best way to see different units AND get the straight skinny from their owners.
oldretiredafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
cgrif

Buy used

First get the truck you think you will need. Get a one ton either swd or dwd and that should be enough...then get a hitch, like B&W...then you can go anywhere to look at a used unit, private sale or dealer. New have too many issues, lousy dealer support and poor mfg warranty. Many of the quality brands are no longer built, like Hitchhiker, Cameo, Teton...but others such as Airstream., Jayco, Mobile Suites have been acquired by one of the big three...
Winnebago, Forest River, or Thor...and these mfgs have focused on profit not quality. Especially Thor! Sales of RV's are declining and many good buys with 25 - 35 % discount from the inflated MSRP can be found. Even on used. Don't be afraid to negotiate. And remember, with a 10-15% discount, after you drive off the lot, you will already be under water!

Good luck.
cgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
flyingjack

OK buyers

First, before you buy a truck or anything; define you mission AND your budget. Are you planning to full time, mostly stay in one place or move around a lot. The more time you plan to stay in your RV; typically, the bigger the unit should be for comfort. If you're moving a lot, a smaller unit will work better. The truck will basically mirror the RV- bigger, duelly, diesel etc. Then look at prices and your budget will tell you which way to go. If you're buying used, see if someone experienced on this forum lives near you and ask for help. We've ALL made a lot of mistakes; learn from our mistakes.
Jack

BTW, where are you located?
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
Notanlines

I have to vehemently disagree with advice given to buy the truck first. Hands down, RV should be purchased FIRST with a tow vehicle purchased after the need is defined. Almost all who buy the truck first end up with some 2500 gas trying to pull a Montana that they fell in love with. RV first, TV second!
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
I have to vehemently disagree with advice given to buy the truck first. Hands down, RV should be purchased FIRST with a tow vehicle purchased after the need is defined. Almost all who buy the truck first end up with some 2500 gas trying to pull a Montana that they fell in love with. RV first, TV second!
I couldn’t have said it better myself.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
bwaites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Agree 100%, finding the proper Tow Vehicle is critical, but not until you know what you are towing!

1) Define budget...add 20%
2) Define size
3) Choose a dealer. I only know two that receive wide approval. Rolling Retreats and RV’s for Less.
4) Make the best deal you can.
5) Choose a Tow Vehicle.
bwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
Begger

I can also add Wheels RV, Tontitown Arkansas to the list. The are a DRV dealer and we’ve been very happy with their service after the sale.

2007 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3520
"Waitin' for someday..."
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote