Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
OneReallyOldGuy

Level up system while hooked

We’re pulling out in the morning. Supposed to be heavy rains and downright miserable starting tonight. My question is can I button everything up today, hook up then USE MY AUTOLEVEL SYSTEM and slide everything back out while hooked up or will it put too much of a bind on my hitch?
We’re currently head high so my king pin sits about 6” above my fifth wheel while level.
Thanks, Phil

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

I would go to manual mode like I did here.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
OneReallyOldGuy

I was hoping to be able to set the rear jacks too. My wife has inner ear problems and she will not enjoy bouncing around in here without the stabilizers.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Here is link to LevelUp manual operation...

No problem using the rear jacks as stabilizers if you understand how to work them. Just be sure not to do anything that raises the hitch AND truck...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
OneReallyOldGuy

Thanks. My screen is completely different. It’s all touchscreen now. It did help though. I found manual mode. I’ll see how it works later today.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
We’re pulling out in the morning. Supposed to be heavy rains and downright miserable starting tonight. My question is can I button everything up today, hook up then USE MY AUTOLEVEL SYSTEM and slide everything back out while hooked up or will it put too much of a bind on my hitch?
We’re currently head high so my king pin sits about 6” above my fifth wheel while level.
Thanks, Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
Thanks. My screen is completely different. It’s all touchscreen now. It did help though. I found manual mode. I’ll see how it works later today.
I frequently do this, usually just using the manual mode.

My hitch is an airbag hitch and from empty to the full inflated position I have about 6+ inches of height adjustment. And my truck is air suspension that I can dump. Between the two I can almost alway level the trailer when connected.

And If I did not have the nose height adjustment I would still use the the leveling for side to side use.

You would have to experiment to see what works best with your hitch - truck.
Typically I use the front jacks first to set some weight on them and then level side to side with the rear jacks.

Doing it this way keeps a load on the front jacks as they will float when leveling side to side.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
OneReallyOldGuy

Well, it started raining early so we just waited till morning and yes it was as miserable as I imagined it would be. My wife used all the old towels we had to wipe down the slides as they came in and then she placed a few strategically around them. Worked out well. We had a ton of wet towels but our floors stayed dry.
The weather was miserable all day. I drove through one torrential downpour after another all the way from north of Atlanta the Florida panhandle. Truck and trailer ran straight and true, never a wiggle in the wind and always solid as a rock during braking.
Then to top it off we were awakened in the middle of the night to the worst storm we’ve encountered so far. Gusty wind and unbelievably heavy rain, 7” in 3 hours.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
porthole

Our last trailer I never had issues with rain-water on the slides bringing it in.

This one I have a new procedure. First extend or retract the jacks as far as they will travel to drain any water off the toppers, slides and awnings.
Then I use am extendable pole with a car wash brush wrapped with a towel to dry the sides.

A pain but it limits water inside.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
WRWGN

I frequently use manual mode when traveling and stopping for the night. I just manually adjust the jacks to get it a level as possible. I too have the touch screen and it give you a readout + or - from 0 both front to back and side to side. As earlier mentioned don't put an upward load on the hitch. When you leave, go to the lever screen and do the AUTO-RETRACT to raise all jacks properly.

10 years full-timing & loving it. Located somewhere in the lower 48
WRWGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
Cummins12V98

Who the HE!! RV's in the rain???

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote