View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #33
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Jim,
Consider that horse trailers weigh a lot less because not many are insulated, dont' have plumbing and beds/TVs for the horses...not having a front BR or LR can do a lot for cross-sectional frontage--'course, there ain't much living area unless you bed down in the stalls.
Now, there are some I have seen when staying in Vegas that have just about EVERYTHING you want--for somewhere north of $200K... and pulled by a MDT or HDT.
Conversely, I haven't ever seen a horse in a conventional fifth wheel--maybe they ought to consider that?
Joe
Wingnut60, I'm afraid you are showing your lack of knowledge of horse trailers.

There are PLENTY of horse trailers with fully insulated and plumbed living quarters, separated from the horse section. In fact, many of them have the horse section ALSO fully insulated and air conditioned, and sometimes also plumbed, as people who haul show horses want the animals completely comfortable and unstressed (there is an entire book written on choosing a horse trailer).

EVERY horse trailer that has living quarters has a front bedroom just like a 5th wheel RV does, but much lower headroom because of the lower overall trailer height.

The living rooms are narrower than most fivers, because only one slide, but many are also much better quality. Check out a Lakota Big Horn, for an example of a moderately priced one - About $75k to $90k brand new with typical dealer discount, so not "north of $200k", and definitely no need for an MDT since it weighs about 11,500 WITH the living quarters, BEFORE you yank out the horse stuff in the rear.

As for putting a horse into a conventional 5th wheel: the horse's weight and movement during travel would turn a typical consumer 5th wheel into shredded junk very quickly. Like I said, horse trailers are built SOLID.

Examples of the good brands, going up in price, are Lakota, Featherlite, Hart, and Bloomer.

Check them out. You might be surprised at what you see and learn.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote