View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
How long have you been searching/researching for a fiver?
Around 4 to 5 weeks or so. If we find something we both like and can afford, it would be the 4th RV we have ever bought, and the experience accumulated on the previous 3 has been a real plus in our research.

I wish that RVs were constructed more like all-aluminum horse trailers are. Such trailers:

- Never rust or delaminate or fade

- Are much lower frontal cross-sections ( at least 2 feet lower than a 5th wheel RV), so way less wind resistance and far more stable when towing

- Weigh a LOT less (They have GVWRs ranging from 13k to 20k, because horses are heavy (4 horses will weigh 4000 to 7000 lb depending on breed), but UNLOADED a 40 footer (4 horse plus living quarters trailer) weighs 9000 lb to 11,500 lb with living quarters (6000 to 6500 lb without living quarters)

- Require a less heavy duty tow vehicle (only of course when not hauling horses, that is! )

- Have lifetime aluminum roofs instead of rubber roofs that need constant maintenance and have limited lifetimes

- Have torsion suspension, which is both very gentle in comparison to leaf springs, and also provides independent suspension at each wheel

- Can act as an easy toyhauler too, as the floor height is typically only 18 inches above the pavement, and the horse ramp on the rear is an EASY climb for a Harley

- And yes, they have slides these days as well, although typically only one slide and typically only up to 16 feet long

- If ordered withOUT the horse paraphernalia (500 lb of rubber floor mats, several hundred lb of stall dividers, mangers, and saddle racks), they weigh even less than the above figures

- All the horse room behind the living quarters, which is also often already insulated, air conditioned, and has finished interior walls and lights and many windows, can be used easily for a 2nd bedroom, extra closets, extra storage, toyhauler space, etc.

- They seem to hold their value long-term much better than RVs do.

Unfortunately, I see at least a few challenges with them too.

For one thing, we would not realistically be able to get financed on a new one with our total income and credit score, and buying a used one that has the AC and lighting in the horse section and in which the horse stuff could be removed easily (without butchering the trailer interior) would be hard. Maybe some day. I could see one of those being a lifetime solution if you spec'ed it correctly from the factory. Some of the interiors are just gorgeous. Real quality, not just consumer flash.

Secondly, My wife does not like them as much though. She likes the multiple slides and other features of the "consumer" grade RVs, even though she knows the "bones" of them are pretty crappy compared to the way horse trailers are constructed.

Thirdly, the resale market is much smaller than the resale RV market - or at least I THINK it is - which means harder to sell if you later want something different.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote