View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
One thing to consider, if you are going to pull it with the '15 dually--a very short fiver will probably sit nose-high on your truck (be thankful you don't have a GM/Ram) and there should be some consideration to hitching up to the trailer before you buy it. A little nose-high won't hurt, but you could be looking at 3-4" or more. A longer fiver should ride more level.
If you find this a problem, only thing to do is to raise the trailer attitude by putting the axles under the springs or adding a riser between the frame and the spring mounts.
Just a thought....
Joe
Joe, thanks, 'ppreciate your insight, learned something.

Let me add something: 'Spring over' conversions have been around a long time and I cannot recommend them under any circumstances. I have seen them under a few cars (hot rods) but they are mostly the domain of the trailer set. What they do is radically move the CoG upwards and move the fulcrum point from below the axle to above. The result is when under high speed such as on highways the trailer over reacts to inputs, especially those that results in trailer saw such as dodging pot hole or object in road or even just passing and changing lanes. It also increases the air flow under the trailer (causing more lift) and if you have ever driven I 10 starting at the Ca border towards LA you will find 18 wheelers laying on their sides and no shortage of various trailer.

Then of course there is the off road interaction. Many camping areas have dirt road access and I have seen a pull behind flip at speeds of <10 mph. It almost took the tow vehicle with it, but there was enough play that the tow rig was only sitting on 2 wheels and not far enough over to lay it down. With LUCK it was a short trailer (raised to be level) and we managed to get it back upright with minimum damage to all.

I told the guy if he would bring it over to my shop I would fab up a set of shackles to help him out (free) but like so many, he blamed the trailer

If you must raise your trailer then spring shackles are the way to go. This way you keep the springs under the axles.
17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote