View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
keithandpenne

Useing the space behind pantry

I searched for prior discussions about the space behind the pantry but did not find them so will post as a new topic. I have to give credit to Jon for completing mod his first so ours is a copy.

We pulled off the trim around the flat panel, then carefully pulled the front panel off. Work carefully, pulling the fasteners through from the back side to prevent splintering as most will be re-used.

Once off, I layed out the size of the opening on the finished side, then using a straight edge and a sharp utility knife, cut along the line. Make several slow passes to prevent the knife from following the grain in the wood. We were successful without any splintering using this process.

We used 1/2" Birch plywood for shelves which were then stained Maple to match the rest of the wood. Pre-finished corners were used to trim out the opening and exposed edge of the shelves.

I picked up a 6' 120v rope light from Lowes which I stretched along the right side of the front endge of the opening. It is pluged into a timer that is set to come on in the evening about dark-30 and off around the time we go to bed. It also comes on before we arise in the morning and shuts off after daylight. It makes a great night/accent light.

This should be a one day project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010048_546.jpg (50.7 KB, 290 views)
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote