Thread: Awning Strut
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
bstark

Ah what the heck, I'll give it a try. Top strut; separate the inner strut member from the outer one by simply sliding it all the way out now that it's hinge is broken and separated from the Bottom Strut arm.

Bottom strut member broken hinge piece: you may be able to simply twist that piece until the slider tabs are free of their groove but if you see that you're spreading the arms too far then you'll have to separate the inner and outer arms like the top piece. To do this however, I think I would have the awning fully extended and laying flat to side of coach (bottom arms unfastened from the side of coach and simply laying on ground under coach) so you can support the now free end on something. It will hang anyway as the fabric will support the roller assemblies weight.

Once you have those arms apart and can see how the broken bit is pinned to the inner top strut arm, you will either drill out the old rivets or replace pin etc., You should now have a complete new hinge assy. fastened to the inner, upper strut arm. You must however reinsert the bottom part of the hinge assy into the lower strut arm slider grooves before re-sliding the upper strut arms together.

Now, if you were able to release the bottom part of the broken hinge by twisting it to release it's slide tabs from the slider grooves, you should be able to twist the new piece carefully into place in it's slider grooves and THEN slide the inner top strut arm back into the outer top strut arm et voila, all done!

There now wasn't that easy?