Thread: Dream 5th wheel
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Txtower

I have been sidetracked with work and lost track of my own thread.

Update; I am considering pulling the trigger on something new or gently used so that when I do retire it will be paid for Versus retiring and then getting something in either having a monster chunk of money taken away for me as cash or years of payments…

I like that mid bunk that was mentioned. I would really like to the ability to have Family stay. I like the mid as well as the rear bunkhouse. I have noticed that you either lose the bathroom or counter space (based off models I have been looking at).

My observations and preferences:

I have been researching the Forest River, Highland Ridge, keystone campers. Forest river and Highland Ridge interiors and dining amenities are not big with me. I am leaning toward the Keystone, Montana High Country. I will check out the Space Craft, Lux, New Horizon...

When I look at different makes and models I see 15 inch wheels out there… I really think 16 inch with the appropriate ply is the way to go.

Not many models out there with generators. Based off how I travel in camp that is still big on my list.

Questions:

Of the three manufacturers I mentioned and others that you all may know of; are there some to avoid, pros and cons?

We have talked amenities before and amenities are typically personal. Based off your experience are there some that are not worthwhile and others that are truly great?

What resources out there work for researching? I have not had much luck with finding a sweet spot.

I have been told to go with a local dealer because in the end it will pay off with servicing over the years. My dilemma is that local dealers here in Dallas to San Antonio area have prices that are tens of thousands over what’s the prices elsewhere (in the north). A peer that I work with mentioned going north to Michigan or Minnesota ( maybe elsewhere) to a place that simply has the best deals and refuses to be undersold and will make it worthwhile to do the trip. Thoughts?

Purchasing traps? I read about trade-ins with Terry and do not want to fall into a trap/pitfall. Stories and advice with that?

Good information from you guys so far. Hopefully this thread will help others as they prepare to make a big camper purchase.
Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote