Thread: Gray tank valve
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
Jim Keefer

Gray tank valve replace

Mark,
Yes I managed to change the valve. The toughest part was to remove the cover under the rig to access the valve.. not knowing what was under the cover I loosened the cover from the caulk on all four sides but still would not drop or slide out to access the valve, so was beating on the front side of cover and would and still would not drop.. DO Not do this.. You could crack the pvc piping as the pvc are right tight to the cover. The cover has to slide towards the front of RV! I ended up using my 4 1/2” grinder with cutoff wheel to slice the cover in half, this allowed the inner half cover to drop and have access to valve. Do not go to deep with the grinder..
Now having access to valve, I removed the 4 bolts on the valve and removed the knife part of valve. After ordering the new valve online, just install new valve knife. At this time close the valve about 3/4 of the way, install the new gaskets and carefully reinstall the bolts. I had my brother underneath doing this while I was on the top side helped guide the reinstall by holding the two halves together! Re fasten the cable to correct position inside the door.. put back all the insulation on the top side..
Now to re install the cover.. I used the eternabond 3” wide tape to fasten to two halves back together.. add the insulation back under the cover.. fasten cover back in place..
It seems every time I do something, it doesn’t come easy.. as you will notice.. I’m sure you will get responses with an easier way to do the cover than I did! Anyway the end result worked the way I did it and new valve works like when my rig was new! Lol
Hope this helps you, Jim
2005 CK3 #1631
2004.5 Dodge Cummins
Quad, Laramie Pkg.
BD Exhaust Brake
S.O.I.T.C. Western Division
Jim Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote