View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Suite Sweets

Towing a fiver with GMC NHT 1500 truck ?

Kato, I had a look at GMC's towing guide. I interpret GM's comment about the 1500 # as being a guide of what to expect, because of the word "should". For example, if you are pulling a 11000 lb trailer, expect the pin weight to be not less than 1500 # . The guide then goes on to state the maximum should not be exceeded for either the axle (RGAWR) or for the whole vehicle (GVWR).

When manufacturer's establish trailer towing capabilities, they look to the use the vehicle will get in the whole country. Engine size and gearing,, for example, needs to provide acceleration and top speed to please the majority of the customers throughout the country. Probably the people in Colorado have more 'want' for horsepower, than do the people in Florida. Likewise for towing. If the majority of the towing is done on 2 lane winding highways in Colorado, it probably takes a 'beefier' truck to handle the stress, than would towing on the Interstate in New Jersey.

Truckers overload all the time. If they didn't there would not be the presence of weighing scales on highways throughout the country. When truckers decide to overload, they do so as result of having done a cost-benefit analysis. How much more will they be paid for carrying the extra weight vs. how much are they likely to be fined, and what effort (lost time) do they expend for avoiding the scales ?

Do your own cost-benefit analysis.
Consider the roads on which you drive, the value to you of having a 5th wheel vs. a tow behind.

You can eliminate some towing weight by traveling with empty tanks (I used to empty by hot water tank for this reason)
A family typically carries 1500# of 'stuff' with them
Exceeding any rating by 10% is not likely to cause any harm

Take it easy on the highway. You don't need to tow at 65. If you're 10% or 20% overloaded, drop that speed to 50.

Happy Camping
Suite Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote