Thread: New 5th Wheeler
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
fjr vfr

What is the payload capacity of your truck? It's posted on the drivers door. A 5th wheel is Not like a bumper pull. Much of it's weight is on the truck.

A few points, the pin weight listed on the trailer is empty weight with no batteries, empty gas bottles, etc. as it left the factory. Expect the real pin weight to be about 20% to 25% more than what is listed.
The weight of the hitch itself, passengers and anything else in the truck are counted as cargo. Most 3/4 ton trucks pulling 5th wheels are at least slightly over their cargo capacity. Most seem to handle it okay since I see so many like that out there.
My Ram 2500 diesel is slightly over it's 5,011 lbs cargo capacity. My pin weight, (weighed on CAT scale) is about 1,800 lbs, but along with the hitch, wife and I and some other items puts us slightly over. Our trailer lists the pin weight as 1375 lbs and gvwr at 10600 lbs. Just bear in mind the tow capacity is the least of your concerns with a 5th wheel. It's the real pin weight and cargo you need to watch for.
Hope you have many happy travels.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote