View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #35
RickandJanice

Re: hitch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonelite69
Hey Rick, this may be a dumb question, but why would it be a bad idea to leave the hitch hanging for long periods of time? I have done this and if I shouldnt please let me know. Thank You. and may u all have a Very Happy New Year.
Like Ponch said, I do not think leaving allot of downward weight on the king pin would be good for the pin box. I know allot of people store their hitches hanging on the pin and have not had any issues, but I do not like to leave this weight there for very long. Probably also depends on the weight of the hitch and the type of pin box. We use the MoreRyde pin box and a standard Reese 20K hitch. So the downward weight is not as much as an air ride hitch and the kingpin has no vertical moving parts like an air ride pin box would.

I have the Firestone air bags on the truck suspension to cushion the trailer. They can be adjusted easily from the inside the truck depending on road conditions. IMHO this is just easier than having to change pressure in the king pin or the hitch through valves and hoses.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote