View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
terry and jo

Pretty much agree with Rdunk. However, if I recall correctly, Beachgirl and Capt. Ducks are not going to be full-timing, so that is the reason for the desire to remove the hitch from the bed and in having a fairly small "footprint" of additional hitch "hardware".

Capt. Ducks,

In regards to that video that you watched, was it for the TrailSaver air hitch or one of the other, non-air hitches that one man removed or installed? If the weight is an issue, the idea of a "cherry-picker" winch system for lifting and removing/installing would be a great idea. A lot of those are on rollers, so the hitch could be removed, the cherry-picker rolled into a garage, and the hitch stored on a pallet or on boards.

Also, I think it was the TrailSaver TS3 (or something like that) that will attach to two parallel "Reese-type" rails attached to the bed crossways of the bed. If you remove the hitch, those rails only stand up about 1 inch or so. Thus, the bed is still fairly usable for hauling other things.

Also, don't rely solely on the tow weight. Keep in mind Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. That is the total weight of the trailer with everything in it (plus fluids in holding tanks) plus the total weight of the pickup with full fuel, hitch, passengers, and other cargo. I've seen situations where the truck was sufficient for "tow weight" but overweight on GCVW. If I remember correctly, the GM 3500 Dually has a GCVW rating of 29,200 lbs. If the Mobile Suites is 18,500 lbs, that only leave you with being allowed 10,700 lbs for the truck and everything in it.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote