Thread: Just got one!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
rd&gj

Pete (& Debbie)
So glad to receive your response....after all, if it weren't for you, dialog may have never got started. I've checked out many forums but was pleasantly surprised to find the ‘5th Wheel Forums’, especially to see someone took the initiative to request specific to the Jazz. And then of all things, to read that someone has just purchased the same model we had decided on.

Yes ~ we did it too! We traveled the 63 miles back to the dealer last weekend and cut a deal - and I think a pretty good one. We still need to get a few things in order ~ just figuring all the particulars and taking our time. Our actual pick-up date for the coach was the 5th of May, although, with only a few days since the agreement, that has already changed to the 29th of this month.

We wanted to know and see all the costs. We've always intended to have the sprayed-in bed liner applied to our pickup, so arrangements for that is in order. I did a lot of research on the Pullrite hitch and knew that was the one for us, even though the price was quite steep. Rather than have the dealer install our hitch (which we found out later, they don't actually do it anyway) we are having it done locally and for quite a bit less. I've gotten a quote for insurance, queried DMV for an estimate on registration and have an appointment with our credit union tomorrow, so all is coming together as planned.

We attended the RV show in our area in January and received a quote on the 25 footer I mentioned. We continued to look around and even checked all the RV sales in Vegas when we went to visit our son at Nellis. It was that quote that we were able to use as leverage, trying to get the best deal and wanting to purchase closer to home for future service/warranty work. However, I feel we must have hit our local dealer (again!) at just the right time, as we were able to get the 2870UK at only $500.00 more than the original quote for the 25’er in Jan. It was my husband that said he didn’t want to pull a house, so needless to say, I was quite surprised when he said he was more interested in the bigger unit. Although, I totally agree....it’s not too big or heavy compared to so many others. But believe me, this will be a big switch from our popup pulled by a Mazda truck. I, too, love the U-shaped kitchen with all the counter and cabinet space. The Forrest color scheme would have been my choice had it been available, as it is the only one I liked of the three new colors. Ours is called Expresso ~ not Driftwood as posted in the window. I consider it muted in color, but have lots of plans to liven it up

It was good to hear Thor has a reputation of standing behind their product; I feel the ‘attention to detail’ that you spoke of is a great start. It was that reason we continued to go back to the Jazz. And it lies in the responsibility of the owner to maintain the up-keep as well.

I do have one question.....do you know if there is anything we may have to do to either the Pullrite hitch or kingpin? As you can tell, we haven’t dealt with either before and only hope once the hitch is installed it’s only a matter of connecting and taking off. I have read or heard that some may need to get extended pins. I’m sure with a 2004 vehicle and a current year trailer (which has size 16 tires), that shouldn’t apply to us. I hope I'm making sense.

I’m not sure where Casitas Lake is, but I am sure you both will have a wonderful time. I hope to make reservations for the weekend before Memorial Day at a nearby RV resort for our first time out. We have to re-situate our back yard in order to park the new trailer – the fence has to come down and back up with new gates, sprinkler system and retainer wall moved, etc., etc. So as you can tell, we have much to do to prepare for our little home on wheels. I’m grateful they have allowed us the extra time before we bring ‘er home.

Have a great day!! gj
Pullrite Super Glide - under mount, 16K; Prodigy
rd&gj is offline   Reply With Quote