View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
terry and jo

Two Years in the Planning

It was nearly two years ago that this process began for us. Here in Oklahoma City, the Spring RV Show was going on at the fairgrounds, which, incidentally, we pass on our way to and from work each day. On that particular day, as we were going home, Jo said, “Let’s stop by the RV show. I want to look at something.”

In my mind, I was thinking, “OK, she wants to look at something bigger than the 26 foot fifth wheel that we currently own.” (Perhaps maybe a 30 footer.) To my surprise, she began looking at 36 and above, particularly the Mobile Suites that was carried by the RV dealer we had dealt with before with our earlier campers. So, I had to ask her what she had in mind. It was then that she told me of wanting to eventually full-time and travel the country.

Now, we are getting close to a decision. If we don’t do something this year in the way of purchasing a fifth wheel, we might not ever get as big as we want and be able to full time. We recently had the dealer give us a price for ordering a Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 with some upgrades including a fourth slide in the bedroom.

To our thinking, the price they gave us was a good one, but maybe just a wee bit high for what we wanted to pay. So, now we are looking at deleting some of the options that we had put into the initial price quote.

Once again, I come to our online friends for your ideas, suggestions and thoughts, since you have all been so valuable to us in the past. The last point will be a question for the “electrical minded” out there.

We will be getting the Level-Up system with remote, the side by side refrigerator, upgraded TV to Sony Bravia, “Theatre-Seating” recliners with center console, built in fireplace, GE Advantium microwave (convection plus), 3 burner range with oven, Select Comfort queen size bed, 2nd 15.0 BTU A/C with heat pumps in both, Comfort Air w/rain sensor and remote for kitchen and bathroom, washer/dryer prep with vent, Power Management System, whole house surge protector, Canadian All Weather package with two 30,000 BTU furnaces, Trailair suspension and pin box, Tire Pressure monitoring system, back up camera system, four step entry steps, and thermopane windows.

1. We first deleted the fourth slide. While the vanity slide will give a bit more walking space in the bedroom, plus some more hanging space in the closet, it comes at the cost of storage space in the “dresser” drawers, overhead storage, and extra cabinet space to the left and right of the window. Saved nearly $2200.

2. The central vacuum was another choice to delete. For the $400 listed for that, we could buy a small Dyson “ball” upright that has more “flexibility” and better suction than what a long vacuum hose would necessarily allow.

3. Slide topper awnings were another to delete. My thinking is that with the Oklahoma winds, that is something that wouldn’t be getting torn up and flapping in the wind. As for cleaning the tops of the slides. I can always use a ladder from the ground and sweep them off.

4. Dinette slide patio awning was next. A powered one is $1994 and a manual one is $908. We’re just not sure how much the additional awning would be used. We will have the one running from the entry door forward.

5. We also decided to delete the Winegard Trav’ler HD Auto Satellite for Direct TV. That was another $2500. We figure we can always use the normal DirectTV dish on a tripod. That would give us the added flexibility to be able to move the dish around for a better shot at the satellite.

In addition to the above, we plan on getting the Xantrex 3000 Watt Inverter w/four 6-volt batteries. That one leads to the question for the “electrically minded” individuals to kindly answer. If we delete the Onan 5500 Marquis Gold generator we can save$6070, although I’m considering to still get the “Generator Prep-Auto Change Over” option for $654 should we later decided to add the Onan. We currently have a Honda EU3000IS rated at 3000 watts and I think 25 amps. While I know that this generator won’t run any of the air conditioners, it would still work for heating and lights, etc. Does anyone know if this generator would be “heavy” enough to still be able to recharge the batteries in the Xantrex 3000 Watt inverter? If it would manage but take a long time to charge, thus making it ineffective or inefficient, please let me know your thoughts on that as well.

Anyone wishing to comment on whether we should go ahead and delete all of the above, or perhaps keep certain ones, I would welcome your thoughts. This is now being done because with the right answers to the above and just a wee bit more tweaking of numbers, we MAY be about to order our DREAM RV.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and answers in the past and for any that you provide for this thread. God bless you all.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote