View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
AntonJ

Generator placement

Hi: My wife and I are new 5th wheel owners although we've had motorhomes for over 20 years. Our issue is that to add a generator through the dealer it would be a $6,200 add on for an Onan 5500 wired into the front compartment. Being uninformed, I bought the Costco dual fuel portable 7,000 watt generator for $700 and swung install labor as part of the purchase deal. However, the tech's nixed that deal saying the portable won't fit and isn't compatible with the existing harness in the front compartment. I see 3 possibilities at the moment:

1. Just return my Costco unit and pony up the extra $ to purchase and mount the unit they recommend.

2. Have them build a receiver out the back of the unit and mount the portable back there and use the shore power cord to plug into the Costco generator when I am going to use it.

3. (My latest idea without knowing if it is feasible...) would be to mount the Costco generator in the tow truck and extend the harness to the tow vehicle so that I would plug in an adaptor from the 5th wheel to the generator and have all the organic start/stop features inside the 5th wheel operational.

Anybody else's thoughts on this dilemma would be appreciated.
AntonJ is offline   Reply With Quote