Thread: DVR fried
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
oldbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears View Post
Your statements, "the DVR started smoking big time" and "so I just grabbed it and put it outside". What started smoking and what did you grab and put outside???
Sorry about the confusion. The dish network receiver was smoking so I just grabbed it and pulled all the wires until they broke or became disconnected. HDMI, coaxial cords, etc, I know that sounds extreme but my wife 24 hours later is still smelling burnt electrical. I hope its not something in the walls? Breaker didn't do any good on the DVR circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpuller View Post
Sorry, that didn’t do the trick. In our DRV, I had to push down on the breaker handle so hard I thought it was going to break. The yellow button will do nothing until the breaker is reset. If you can’t get it to reset, the breaker is probably bad. Are all other electrical items working? Did you look inside the outlet where the DVR was plugged into to see if there might be a short in the box? Was there any other item plugged into the same outlet? If so, are they still working? Good luck. John
I just tried pushing down hard and it didn't work. Your probably right, the breaker is probably bad. All other electrical items are working OK except we can't get the micro to work. Also a little alarm clock to the left of the TV isn't working. The TV and DVR receiver were both plugged into the same plug and the TV is still working. I had a spare DVR and its working fine plugged into the same outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpuller View Post
He stated DVR for digital video recorder, not DRV. I had to read his original post a couple of times. I couldn’t image trying to pull the DRV plug from the pedestal with sparks and smoke. Yikes....John
LOL, outside like that I would have tripped the breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears View Post
OK ilpuller, got it now. Thanks for the explanation.
With everything normal now except the GFI's not working makes me wonder if I got hit with some surge and my surge guard didn't stop it?? Does anybody know if the GE micro-convention oven has a reset? Thanks
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote