View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Ridge Runner

We own a 32tk3 and pull it with an 06 Dodge. I don't have any problem pulling the camper up or down any mountain and the camper weighs about 15 to 16k when it is loaded. I would advise adding an exhaust brake if you are going to travel in the mountains. Also, you may have to run in a lower gear than what you would like when climbing steeper hills due to your 355 gear ratio. It is the gearing, not the engine, that makes some of the heavier duty trucks seem to pull better. I have 373 gears in my truck and it seems to do fine. If I was full timing, I might opt for a 410 gear ratio but the truck would not drive as nice at highway speeds and would not get as good of fuel mileage when not towing. Add an exhaust brake to your truck and keep your equipment in good shape with good brakes (all people pulling a camper should keep their equipment in good shape regardless of what kind of truck they have) and you should not have any trouble. I used to have class 8 semi's a long time ago that never had near the engine your Dodge has in it. That was back in the 1960's and the trucks had 409 chevy engines and they pulled a lot more weight than a Mobile Suite all over the U.S. Good luck with your decision.

Bob
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote