View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
keithandpenne

Tow vehicle

56 Ford

We tow our 05 36TK3 with an 08 F450 CC 6.4 twin turbo and 4.88 gears.

I would have have an HDT Volvo if I my wife would have consented to lean to drive it. She said to go ahead and get one, but, I would have to do all the driving, including the towing. She had absolutely no interest in driving it.

So, with that, we were relegated to an MTD. In looking at the specs, it appeared the best for our needs was the F450 or 550. I looked at the Dodge but they were limited to 24K as was the GM 4500 5500's. Since the Fords have a max rating of 33k, they were the only real choice. Now, the final reason was that only the F450 is/was available with a puck-up bed, it became the only contender. The F550 can carry additional weight, but when you add the pickup or toter bed, it's ability is only slightly more but the additional cost of the toter body was the deciding straw.

Now, all that said, I am happy with our choice in that it is a great ride as a daily driver and has done everything we need as a toter. We have yet to hit the big hills out west but with the 4.88 gears, should be a reasonable trade-off and with the Ford brake controller, stopping is jerk or push/pull free.

Engine wise, I have not had any problem to date, other than the fuel mileage is less than I would have hoped, but from what I have read all of the post emissions engines mileage are down. What I do like about it is that it is very quiet, does not smell like a diesel and after 16000+ miles the fuel mileage is still climbing with each tank fill.

So far, I am not unhappy with our choice.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote