Thread: cable TV
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Motor31

I spent the better part of a day going through the rats nest of cables in our rig. I found that there were 2 splitters installed on our rig and one was installed backwards to boot. This effectively blocked the signal from the outside cable connection. I removed one splitter and set the cables as per the instructions on the entertainment systems. Things now work as they are supposed to. I only get signal from one of the outside connections but that is OK to me since I can now control the box on the inside.

Removing splitters is critical if you are using a ground mount satellite antenna through the outside cable / satellite connection. A splitter will end up blocking the signal from the antenna, especially the cheap ones that DT installs.

To trace the cables I had to disconnect them from the unit and attach a small flashlight battery via jumper wires to each cable one at a time and use a volt meter to see what cable end on the other end of them was "hot". Time consuming but it does confirm where each one goes so you can install them like they are supposed to be set up.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote