Thread: truck
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
billr

Like mentioned above, go to the MDT/HDT forum and check out the links and resource guide. It will answer about every possible question on the HDT direction. It was my bible while setting up the Volvo.

We have a 38RL3 and while not an Elite, it runs at about 18K. I believe the Elite will be closer to 20K loaded. We towed it with a pickup for 2 yrs and while it performed fine, I was wearing those rose colored glasses thinking I had it all covered.

We chose to go the HDT route and it is the absolute best thing we ever did! Like Mike mentioned, it may not be for everyone, but for us it just made too much sense. The safety and comfort along with power and brakes way out weighs the size issues. We have towed for a year now with the Volvo and have yet to have any issues finding and parking in any campground we wanted to go. Same goes for daily driving while traveling, we do everything we did before with a PU with no issues. Just have to watch out for those trees and drive thru's are not an option. ha No sore backs, no chucking, arriving refreshed and all the space inside you can ask for. Our Volvo cost us under $35K ready to tow singled. It out turns any 4 door dually pickup and gets better or equal fuel mileage. We are not fulltimers, but it works great for us. The thought of dropping $65K on a new PU truck then putting $5-10K of add ons to make it usable made us cry, then to have to repeat it in 5 yrs was insane. (that's what we have done for several years) This is likely to be the last truck we ever buy.

As Bruce said, everyone will have their own response to this question and each to their own opinion. This is simply mine. Good luck in your quest!

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote