View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Motor31

At the time we were looking for our RV, DRV prices were considerably lower than they are now. I would estimate they were maintaining a far more modest profit margin while trying to establish themselves back in 2005. It was the price factor that made our final decision. I wish New Horizons price had been more comparable as we could not afford their unit.

I've been to both factories. I was very impressed by New Horizons and they were my first choice. I was also impressed by the then Mobile Suites factory but not favorably. New horizons assembly was done in a far slower tempo with more attention to detail, higher quality plumbing fasteners, bundled electrical wiring assembly rather than loosely stringing wires and no one was running across the factory floor like Mobile Suites assemblers were. I also did not see sections of supposedly glued in insulation fall out of the unit while the end cap was being assembled in New Horizons like I did at Mobile suites. The forward end cap assembly had to be halted while the workers draped the insulation back in the closet area before the end cap was installed.

There are certainly several construction differences between the units. New horizon uses a laminated wall with solid foam insulation. DRV uses a sandwich with fiberglass batting like material that is glued to the interior of the wall for insulation before the outer part of the wall is glued to the frame. Foam will not sag or drop like batting insulation will especially during the vibration and bouncing the unit will be experiencing as it goes down the road.

New horizons used large roller pressure machines to fully laminate their walls together in a horizontal position. Mobile suites used a few long pieces of wood, like 2x4's held in place over parts of the wall section with large clamps to put pressure on the outer section of wall so that the glue they applied with power caulk guns on the frame would adhere to the wall sections in a vertical position. I asked about the cure time on the glue and the rep said it was about 20 minutes before they would remove the clamps and lumber. Once assembled, the openings for the slide, windows and vents were then cut out of the wall after it was put in place in the trailer by Mobile Suites. Both factories have frame assemblies in the interior of their walls for structural support. One is just fully laminated.

As long as the price is even remotely comparable, now that DRV has considerably raised their prices, I would certainly give more consideration to New Horizons were we back in the market.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote