Thread: Battery
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
rdunk

Obviously either 12v or 6v will work, so, what is your plan, ie cheapest battery that will work, or, or best battery. For sure I would think you want some type of "deep-cycle" for use in the RV.

Based upon all that I have read on the internet, probably two 6v's are better. Regarding battery type, I would suggest that the absorbed glass mat (AGM) type battery is the very best. The AGM's are totally maintenance free. I had to replace my factory batteries because of converter overcharge, and on the basis of the RV technician's recommendations, ordered and replaced with AGM batteries. The AGM battery warranty clearly stated that doing any maintenance on the battery would "void" the warranty. Hooray, not having to check the water in the batteries, or worrying about them going dry was a really great thing for me! .

The AGM batteries are much safer in that they contain no "liquid" acid. For example, if one buys AGM batteries over the internet, they can be shipped by normal ground shipping, because they are so safe. Also, with AGM's there is no problem with post or cable corrosion, which is another really good thing.

Yes, AGM's are more expensive, but you do get what you pay for. I installed two 6v Lifeline AGM's, and at about 4 1/2 years, they were still going strong when we sold the M/S.

AGM's are generally available locally, or, can be found on the internet. Just make sure the replacement battery sizes will fit your space!!!

If you haven't looked at AGM batteries before, do a little research on the internet, and that might help you decide.

FWIW, the dual batteries in my F350 went out, and I replace with Sears Platinum Diehards, which are AGM batteries (not deep cycle). Also worked great!!

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote