Thread: wiring diagram
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shergry
Have been looking to see if anyone else thought of this problem. Do you have 1 or at least 2 gauge wire between the battery connection and your inverter? And the length of the wire needs to be no more than 4 to 6 feet. If you are over length of 6 feet that can also cause blowing from under gauge wire.
You have to go from the battery with the positive side being fused to the inverter.
Under gauge wire or over length wire can cause of the inverter fuse, if the load is too much.
Just asking...are you trying to run your whole rig off the battery/inverter? If this be the case...only thought was solar power.
For clarification:

The wire used between battery bank and the inverter is the minimum recommended 4/0 cable size. Length is less than 4 feet in Cyndy's installation. I have modified mine to run the negative 4/0 cable from the inverter to the opposite battery bank to get better battery charging. This has added a few feet to the cable length but it is still within spec.

The specification is maximum of 10 feet (3m) one way or a total of 20 ft (6m).

The main fuse is in the positive cable and is closer to the inverter than the battery but still within specification. Both of us have changed out the fuse that Doubletree installed. We are now using the recommended (by Xantrex) Class T holder with 400A fuse. I have never blown a fuse. Howard and Cyndy have lost several and at different campgrounds.

Doubletree should not have stated the system can only be used on 50A. That is not true. The xantrex specification is 5 to 50A and can be programmed in 5A increments to match the breaker setting on the AC input. This configures the Power Share which optimizes the amount of power used for charging batteries and supplying house current. When connected to a 30A outlet this setting should be set to 30A.

The RS3000 has a 50A pass through rating but this is not a practical value for running the house given the size of the battery bank available and of course the limit of the DC fuse. 50A at 120VAC translates to 500A at 12VDC.

My practice is to run the inverter in disabled mode. If a power failure should occur and I need AC power, I turn off all unnecessary AC loads including all air conditioning and only then enable the inverter. I am not sure what happens if a power failure occurs under heavy AC load with the inverter enabled. I have to believe there are safeguards against this scenario too but I don't know.

There seems to be a serious flaw in the system installed in Howard and Cyndy's trailer that is causing catastrophic failures of a fuse that should never blow. All normal loads are protected by fused circuits that would blow. I suspect a short circuit in the DC wiring somewhere or a defect in the inverter itself. It may even be possible for a defective (shorted?) AC circuit to cause full current flow through the inverter which, as shown above, would blow the main DC fuse.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote