View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #33
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmayhew View Post
What grease do you use?
I have several I use, but mostly I use:

Green Grease Full Synthetic waterproof. Or any Full Synthetic waterproof if I am out of Green Grease like Mobil Syn Marine grade. Also if you can find the Extreme, waterproof Mil Spec stuff is good.

The key is the waterproofness of the grease and the Green Grease is about as good as it gets.

Next is the pack. You can do it by hand just takes some time. You pack and rotate the bearings and pack again, rotate and pack again. 3x will do it. If you have a machine then that great, you still want to rotate the bearings.

My challenge on oil bath: Unless the bearing runs full which I doubt then you have an air pocket in the bearing. To run it full then you would need a bleeder valve so when the oil gets hot it can escape.

If it contains an air pocket which most likely it does and you suddenly hit it with cold water the air and oil contracts and creates a temp vacuum and if the seal does not hold it it will ingest water.

If the seal ever fails you lose your oil quickly unlike a grease seal that is a slow fail.

At one time you found oil bath in lots of locations, I have seen many and they all had a oil cup, I have added oil to many of them over my years. You don't see them much anymore because the quality of seals are so much better and so are the greases. Some might remember the days of the trains and the guys who were Oilers, keeping those cups full.
17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote