View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
RodeWorthy

Water Pump Backflow Valve

This problem continues. After several days of steady levels at 31% in the tank I get up this morning to a level of 86% -- and we are traveling tomorrow. Guess it will be a long shower today. Yesterday, I shut off the cg water to service the water softener and that must have done it. My GW turned the pump on for a short use while this was going on.

Roland, I have changed so many pumps I have lost count. Went through at least 5 of the 5.7 variable speed Smartsensor variety before I took Carney Bill's lead and changed out to a Revolution 3.0 GPM fixed displacement pump. The latter has been a good pump but we are getting these sporadic incidents with the backfill. The 5.7 failures were for different reasons but at least one was a failed check valve.

Shurflo has been great about the replacements but even they hinted that changing out away from the Smartsensor would be a good idea. We have no problem with the 3.0 GPM flow. I have a spare pump and I note there is a part number for the check valve itself.

BTW, I installed an accumulator to take care of the 'hunting' that occurs with a fixed displacement pump.

It just seems to be a good idea to have a backflow preventer right in the line.

Bill, it might be possible to adapt the water heater check valve for this purpose but it has occurred to me it might be necessary to have a lighter spring in the suction line of the pump. At Lowes they have a 1/2" valve which is too big. I noted the spring to hold the valve closed was quite stiff. This is OK in a pressure line but might be an issue in the suction line. I will keep looking.

Mike, will be sure to post information and pictures when a suitable fix is found. We are traveling toward home so that may be a while.

Thanks for your input fellas.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote