View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
caddojay

Slide opening while driving

We had a very disturbing issue while heading to our spot in Port Aransas Texas. While driving across the Causeway bridge, I saw the kitchen slide open itself and extended while driving at 55 MPH. VERY FRIGHTENING! The DW chose to ride in the unit (which is another issue with the rumbling unit, she says) and hold the slide in place. When we got to our spot, I crawled under the unit and took the panels loose to look inside. This was the first time I looked in the "portholes" and saw something that sickened me. The side is held in place with a 7/8" diameter square tube attaced on the motor with a simple screw squeeze collar. The tube separated from the motor unit and fell out of the ratchet wheel under the refigerator end. That's all that holds it in! The limiter bracket also broke free and the slide "could" have completely come out and fallen onto the roadway creating an incredible disaster. After I spent 2 hours getting the square tube back in place and the collar re-attached, it may hold. I'm making a trip to Lowes today and get a drill to re-install the limiter bracket after the "1" broken screw that held the limiter bracket in place. ONLY 1 small 14 ga. screw holds it on the slide frame. Not very sturdy, as I see it.
I'm also getting a 1" dowel rod and buying crutch tips to create a safety rod to wedge in the slide when it comes in. I'll wedge the dowel between the wall and interior portion of the slide. Just another issue with our unit.
Texas' oldest and only natural lake
caddojay is offline   Reply With Quote