Thread: Water Fiilter
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
terry and jo

Water Softener and Reverse Osmosis

While I have no experience with a water softener in an RV, we did live in a home here in Oklahoma where the water was pretty heavy in minerals.

The previous owner of the house had installed a water softener and for the most part it was really good. It really reduced the amount of soap one had to use in bathing and washing dishes or clothes.

However, it definitely had a salty taste and we notice some weight gain with the additional sodium we were consuming. So, since it was a Culligan water softener, we talked to them and they recommended the Reverse Osmosis (R/O) to us.

After putting in the R/O we noticed a lot better tasting water. It was a special spigot on the sink and it was also plumbed to the refrigerator and icemaker. In that case, it was well worth having.

But, having said all that, I now have to refer back to the poster that mentioned the hot water heater anode rod and "soft" water. I'm wondering if he meant the salt added to water to soften it caused a premature corroding of the anode rod. Does anyone else have any experience with "softened" water causing those or other problems?

We are still waiting for the house to sell before we get our Mobile Suites, so I sure want to make sure of what I need when we order it.

Thanks for any replies.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote